Friday, April 08, 2016

keep my glass full until morning light, 'cause i'm just holding on for tonight

As you may have guessed from the fact that last night's post detailed an epically fun disaster of a night (and wasn't actually posted until this morning), today was a bit of an exercise in paying the wages of my sins.

Surprisingly, I didn't have that many wages to pay - the biggest problem was that I didn't get nearly enough sleep. My hangover was far better than I deserved given the wine, three cocktails (of varying alcohols), port, and cheap champagne that I consumed last night - but thanks to my karaoke voice, I may have sounded on the verge of death this morning when Katie called me to find out if I was still alive since I hadn't posted last night. But I drank my emergency Mountain Dew while talking to her, and then I showered, and then I was pretty much as right as rain.

I should have written this morning, but since I got up at 9:15 and was a bit too spinny to focus, that didn't happen. Also, I met Ritu for brunch at MyMy - we both needed something restorative. The weather was perfect - not as warm as yesterday, but warm enough that we were able to sit outside and pretend we were in Europe rather than the pre-postapocalyptic wasteland that is the northernmost edge of the Tenderloin. My corned beef hash and poached eggs and three cups of coffee went a long way toward making me feel alive again, and Ritu got a salmon and egg dish that looked amazing as well.

So we spent brunch mostly congratulating ourselves and each other for being so fucking awesome, which is perhaps not particularly modest of us (also, we're totally modest and humble). Then we went to my favorite nail place to get mani/pedis - I took a bottle of champagne that they let us open, so we drank the whole bottle while getting our nails done (and then sitting for another hour+ to let our pedicures dry while finishing the champagne - I guess I'm enough of a regular that they didn't feel like making us move). Ritu continues to be v. bad for my liver and v. good for my heart and soul, so #sorrynotsorry to drinking champagne all afternoon instead of getting shit done.

Then I walked with Ritu to Vidya's apartment (not the one she rents to me), where Chandlord and I watched Ritu try on dresses for her engagement photos. I hit an introvert wall (or at least a fatigue wall) and went home for a bit after that, where I took the briefest of naps and got some stuff done. But I couldn't stay an introvert - instead, after Bill arrived, the three of us went down to the Marina and had dinner at Aix. We had a v. cozy night there - we split a bottle of wine (but only one! so civilized!) and some burrata and salad, and the steak finished whatever job the corned beef couldn't take care of this morning.

And now, after falling asleep on the couch with my laptop on my lap and every paragraph but this one written, I should go to bed so that I can seize tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: