Tuesday, December 20, 2016

when i dream, i dream of your lips

I made my escape from Rawlins today, and I successfully traversed the windswept plains of I-80 through Wyoming. There's something gorgeously desolate about that stretch of Wyoming - scrub and rocks leading to hills and mountains in the distance, with increasingly interesting, weathered, ancient rock formations that my grandfather would have loved. It was all lightly dusted with snow, and the wind whistling around my car added to the splendor.

Of course, the twenty+ truck drivers whose semis had been blown off the interstate weren't having such a splendid day; there's something shocking about seeing a semi on its side, even in conditions like these that are ripe for it. But I made it through without any issues, turning south at Laramie to head toward Colorado and my rendezvous with destiny (aka Katie).

I arrived in Denver around 1:30, and she and I made our escape and had a late lunch at Postino - it's a wine bar she'd taken me to once before, and I deeply enjoyed the bruschetta we got (I rarely get to have bruschetta, but they had an excellent gluten free bread, and so we ordered like eight of them). Then we got pedicures, which is way more brutal when one has to walk out of the salon in their free disposable flipflops into a slushy snowbank instead of into the 'cold' of San Francisco. Then we came home, hung out with the girls, welcomed James home, and eventually ordered dinner - I successfully replicated an evening in SF, since Patxi's (my favorite pizza place) has expanded from SF to Denver, and I was able to use Postmates to order it.

After the girls were in bed, we continued to talk about the wide variety of topics we'd covered throughout the day (family, politics, health issues, watches, instagram, homelessness, nomadic wanderings, small town life, etc.)...but now I'm desperate to sleep because I need to drive in the morning, and they're desperate to sleep because their small humans will likely wake them up early. Goodnight!

No comments: