Friday, December 02, 2016

someone call a doctor, got a case of a love bipolar

Today was extraordinarily better than yesterday. I woke up later than I should have and was scrambling this morning to get stuff done, but I checked some things off my to-do list and generally felt productive, so I'll take it. After eating an odd lunch (leftover sushi that I'd picked up at Whole Foods last night + a slice of peanut butter toast when the sushi wasn't enough), I drove down to San Mateo for a writing date with Anne. It was just the two of us since Barbara was sick, and we spent a lot of time talking about life and crafting (she's running her son's school's craft fair tomorrow, where the kids all make crafts, and it sounds like a nightmare since she's given herself RSI from punching thousands of paper products (she said that last year she punched 13,000 items and had to wear a wrist brace until the end of January as a result) - but she claims it's not a nightmare because she's a better person than I am). But I also got some decent writing done, which made me happy.

I had to leave earlier than usual, though, because I had coffee plans at my old office with my old boss (Sriram). He must have heard that I was on campus on Monday to see Tomas, because he emailed me the next day to see if I wanted to get together - and thanks to the vagaries of our schedules (which is why we haven't seen each other in six months), the only possible way to make it happen was if I went down late this afternoon before my dinner plans. So we had 45mins to catch up, and it was great to see him - it's always fun to catch up, even if this time I only got string cheese and a banana out of the deal (which, to be fair, is exactly what I wanted - and I stole a Mountain Dew and an iced tea on the way out).

Then, I went to a different Starbucks and wrote for another forty minutes, which was good. And then I went to Vive Sol, where I had girls' night out with Joann and Jen. This was all rather impromptu, but v. appreciated, and we caught up over margarita (singular - I was the only one who had one) and enchiladas (v. v. non-singular). It wasn't the same as our old get-togethers at Fiesta del Mar, which has gone out of business and is being replaced by some slick new real estate development, but it was quite tasty, and the company was obviously wonderful. And they should have been happy to see me, if for no other reason than that we used my membership with SHN to buy them a pair of Hamilton tickets before they go on sale to the public (sorry to the rest of you - I could only buy two).

After we caught up on the most pressing issues of the day, we also discussed travel plans...which partially embarrassed me because my packing job for Bora Bora/Easter Island/Chile was possibly the worst packing job I've ever done (and Joann is a packing master, so I felt woefully underprepared the entire time), and partially got me super excited for all the places I want to go. And we caught up on work, life, etc. We'll have some more time together before I leave the state, but that's only two weeks away...

...and I have a million things to do before then, so I should get some sleep now so I can hit it hard tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: