Sunday, December 18, 2016

we use our bodies to make our own videos

tl;dr: 737 miles down!

I'm so exhausted that I can barely think...I got to Salt Lake an hour and a half ago, but then I had to unload my car and figure out my room situation and unpack my cooler, etc., etc., etc. Today went as smoothly as it could have, which helped to make up for the debacle that was yesterday - but rather than my intended leisurely two-day trip to Salt Lake, I did it all in one. That means I got up at 6:20am, showered, dried myself off with yesterday's tshirt (since I threw away my towel as I was leaving last night, thinking that I wouldn't need it), repacked my car, and said goodbye to the city of sin. I left a little before eight, and the drive was beautiful - if the traffic situation was always as good as it is on Sundays at 8am, the Bay Area would be vastly more liveable.

So, I drove and drove and drove, with a quick stop in Auburn for coffee, followed by a longer stop in Reno for lunch at Chipotle. Then I put the hammer down in Nevada - I set the cruise at 82, turned on Rob Lowe's "Stories I Tell My Friends" audiobook autobiography, and rocked down the highway. The sun set on me while I was still in Nevada, and it was all a surreal fugue state narrated by Rob that I remember very little of (but I've driven across Nevada multiple times and it doesn't get better with age).

However, I stopped in Winnemucca for a bathroom/coffee break, and in Carlin for gas, and in Wells for more bathroom/coffee, and in Wendover for more gas (I probably didn't need the second gas stop, but there's 60+ miles in western Utah without gas stations, and I didn't want to risk it). I got to Salt Lake at ~10pm Mountain time, unloaded the car, and you know the rest.

And now I desperately need to sleep, and hopefully have a shorter day tomorrow. Happy birthday to my mother and to Vidya (aka my former Chandlord) - goodnight!

No comments: