Thursday, December 22, 2016

my body's made of crushed little stars

Today was my first full day back in Iowa, and I celebrated by not leaving the house and therefore not having to get behind the wheel of a car. I did touch my car, since I unloaded half of it, but I didn't drive it (even to get it out of my mom's parking spot in the garage - how long will it take for her to notice that I've conned her out of an indoor space?).

I also celebrated by getting eight hours of sleep, which was great. Then I lazed about for two hours and caught up on online life, which I've mostly ignored for the last two weeks, and I think I should go back to ignoring it stat. Then I went upstairs, went straight to the car to unpack my burr grinder and my Philz beans and my Aeropress (I have priorities), and made coffee and talked to my parents for quite some time. I also made myself bacon and eggs, since I'd missed breakfast hours earlier, but I regret nothing.

By 2pm I was beginning to feel like maybe I should accomplish something, so I took a long shower. Then I unpacked half my car in a rather desultory fashion. [censored] eventually showed up, and we watched too many clips of [censored], as we usually do. We also had supper - it was warm outside (like a balmy 35!), so my dad grilled bratwurst, which is one of my favorite things, and my mom made baked beans and fried potatoes, which are two more of my favorite things. Then I was going to be productive, but instead I got sucked into some fine CBS programming - I really like 'Life in Pieces' a lot, and they showed three episodes tonight, and I watched them all.

But rather than stay up way too late pretending that I'm going to get something done, I'm going to go to bed shockingly early, hope for nine hours of sleep, and get up in time to finish unloading my car and taking care of Christmas shopping and wrapping and email and all the other million things I've been neglecting. Goodnight!

No comments: