Thursday, November 08, 2007

for what it's worth, it was worth all the while

Today was a horrendous day at work - I woke up early because I was infuriated about something that I knew I would have to deal with, and it just didn't get better. The VP of my division wants weekly updates on something, and so there's a fire drill to prep for a meeting with him on Monday; I was scheduled for a mandatory 4pm meeting to follow up on a meeting at 9am that I wasn't invited to but in retrospect should have been; I had my weekly meeting with the directors and came out with a list of action items the length of my arm, all of which have to be done right now; the weather outside was completely dreary and it got dark before I was even out of meetings for the day; and I have to get up and do it all again tomorrow, starting with a meeting at 8:30 and going almost straight until 6:30 without a break. I may possibly get lunch tomorrow (which would be an improvement over the turkey caesar wrap that I grabbed at 12:45 and finally ate during my 2pm meeting).

Yes, I"m complaining, but it's just sad because I would have liked to have come home at a reasonable hour and worked on my romance novel. Instead, I came home at nine and did some vital stuff, and now I'm going to bed without being even close to done with my task list, which means I have to get up super early and go in to get some stuff done. Ugh. Luckily this state won't last forever. Can you believe that Thanksgiving is in two weeks? Impossible!

However, there is a bit of good going on - for example, I ordered an ergonomic keyboard and mouse to plug into my laptop at home, which I'm using right now, and I think that it will be good for keeping myself from getting carpal tunnel in the future. However, it's clear how ridiculously entitled people feel at work - when I left yesterday, I was carrying a big box from Amazon containing the keyboard, and a couple of the people who asked me what was in the box expressed amazement that I didn't just steal one from work. Now granted, I take lots of drinks (since diet coke is my lifeblood), and a completely unnecessary and accidental number of pens have migrated to my house over the past few years, but taking a keyboard seems to be beyond the pale. Maybe I'm just not taking full advantage of my resources. Now, though, it's time for bed - wish me luck tomorrow, I need it :(

No comments: