Saturday, November 01, 2008

come to believe that i better not leave before i get my chance to ride

I did not accomplish nearly as much with the book as I intended today, a fact that I attribute to a combination of hangover, ridiculously slow service at lunch, and general malaise over the election. I actually wasn't very hungover this morning, which makes sense since I wasn't particularly intoxicated last night, but since I only drank red wine last night, I had a fairly bad headache. I also woke up at 7:30, after sleeping approximately six hours, which wasn't enough. Terry and I went to Starbucks for coffee (after sitting around for awhile and recovering in the apartment). When she left, I spent some time tidying up the apartment and taking care of my online banking stuff, and then texted Oniel to see if he still wanted to have lunch.

He did, and so we agreed to go to Moulin Rouge, the entertaining diner near my apartment run by an elderly Asian couple and their son. However, I was less than entertained today -- the wait for a table stretched to over half an hour (unusual), and then the food took over an hour to come out. Given that I ordered eggs over easy, toast, and ham, all of which I have in my fridge, I was a bit sad. But, it was good in the sense that I got to thoroughly catch up with Oniel, more so than if we had gone to the crepe place and been done in twenty-five minutes.

So that was fun, but by the time I got home, it was 2:30pm and I was flagging from last night's lack of sleep. I decided to take a nap, and didn't wake up until five -- it rained most of the day and the sound was rather soothing, which I suppose kept me lulled into slumber. I spent some time reading about the election (mistake), then made myself some quesadillas before settling in to work on the book. But I didn't get as far as I would have liked, so I'll have to get cracking on it tomorrow.

The best thing about today, though (other than Oniel, of course) is that I wore my new cowboy boots! I've never owned cowboy boots before, given that I'm not particularly 'country' despite my roots. But I've been on a boot/heels kick recently, and I ordered them from Zappos on Thursday -- and Zappos upgrading my shipping for free, so I got them yesterday. They are *awesome* -- I put them on, and they immediately felt broken in. They're genuine riding boots, not cowboy-inspired fashion boots, so they'll last forever -- and if the economy collapses and I have to move home to live off the land, they're rated to withstand manure and other barnyard hazards, so I'm all set. My parents buy canned goods, I buy shoes -- we all prepare in different ways.

Okay, bedtime, goodnight!

3 comments:

f...... said...

My sister forwarded me a few "writing" blogs - do you have tween diary entries or young adult fiction reviews that you'd want to every publicly relive?

Anonymous said...

is he talking about coke or actual snow? - tz

Sara said...

@felicia - no, I never want to publicly (or privately) relive my young adult years :)

@tz - I'm too innocent to live in the city of sin, since I didn't even think the song could be about cocaine. You should come back up and teach me the ways of urban America!