Thursday, November 20, 2008

see me working on the factory floor

I hope my arm doesn't fall off -- when I went in to get my allergy shots today, I told the doctor that Tuesday's dust injection had swelled up fairly sizably, to the point that it was still somewhat red and swollen today. So, she didn't give me a dust shot today, but did give me my tree shot and my grass shot. But the dust and the tree shots had been given in the same arm last time -- and now the new injection site is totally swollen, so it's likely that I misjudged and it was the tree shot that caused the swelling instead of the dust. Since she thought the swelling was bad enough to skip the dose this time, but then she *increased* the dose of the tree shot since that didn't seem to be the issue, the swelling is even worse than before. Fascinating, eh?

Today was an excellent day, although I was late to my eight a.m. meeting. My meetings were all nice, and I had a great mid-day interlude; first I had the allergy shots plus a doctor's checkup (and the doctor asked if I'd gotten my flu shot yet, I said "no" because I didn't intend to get one, and she immediately injected me -- gotta love the free healthcare at work, but in this case I just hope that I don't get the flu from the shot). Then, I saw the end of a talk and had lunch with Bill Murphy, who wrote "In a Time of War," which followed West Point's class of 2002. Pete (one of my team leads) was in that class at West Point, and so he'd helped to arrange for the author to give a talk in our office through our authors program. I really want to read the book now; Pete's pretty open about his experience (he served two tours in Iraq), but I'll never grasp it, and while a book can't make me grasp it either, I'm at least interested to learn more.

Tonight was my management team's monthly "margaritas and pie" get-together; while there is no pie, there are margaritas, and it's a chance for us to get together outside of the office, talk about how we're doing, get to know each other better, etc. It was v. entertaining -- and it was also nice to remember that, regardless of how ridiculous things sometimes are, I really love the people I work with, and that's a big motivating factor.

After margaritas and pie, I drove Pete home (which was basically a continuation of the margaritas and pie discussion), then came home and procrastinated. I get to work out of SF tomorrow; while I have to be there at eight a.m. because I have my performance review with my former manager then, I can spend the rest of the day getting some stuff done and then get home at a v. reasonable hour. Now, though, I should really go to bed -- I need to prep for my review, so I should get up early and make sure I get to work in time to get some caffeine, make some notes, and generally be more awake than most eight a.m. meetings. Goodnight!

No comments: