Tuesday, November 11, 2008

the memories don't answer when i call your name

This is a four-minute post. Today was an excellent day at work in terms of my relationships with people, including hearing that I gave someone the most useful performance review they've had in multiple years at the company, which made my day. It was even excellent despite the fact that I had to get allergy shots, and despite the fact that I wore my manager pants (my euphemism for non-denim pants, particularly those with pinstripes) for a lunch with a director, only to have the lunch canceled. Oh, well, at least I looked nice for everyone else!

After work, I had dinner with Terry, which was v. fun. We talked about life for most of it, but towards the end we veered into some work-related stuff (since we work on teams that occasionally overlap) -- and I came to the sick realization of how close I am to totally repeating a project that I was involved with last year at this time. It was that project that ended up necessitating a last-minute trip to India in December, but I don't know if I'll get to go again. I don't even know if I want to -- the problem is that I'm really passionate about the issue underlying this project, but I also worked on that type of stuff for the first 4.5 years of my career, and when I came back I explicitly said that I would do anything they asked me to do except get back into that group. Now I'm getting pulled back in, and I'm still passionate enough that I want to help solve it, but maybe I should be looking for ways to jump the sinking ship instead. That would imply that I'm a passenger rather than a crew member, though, and I'd much rather be influencing the destiny than along for the ride.

Hmm, that turned broody fast, but luckily my time is up, so goodnight!

No comments: