Monday, January 19, 2009

'cause it's easy once you know how it's done

Today was lovely, and I enjoyed a bit of the weather in anticipation of the cold front expected later this week (and of course 'cold' means mid-fifties during the day -- I know this gets no sympathy from my relatives). I briefly contemplated the sobering fact that I'm turning into my mother as I thoroughly cleaned my kitchen after the devastations of last night's cooking; in times gone by, I would have left the mess for a couple of days (and I would have also slept until noon). Instead, I had everything spic and span by 9:30am. My mother later laughed at this, since she believes I'll never turn into her, given my strong urges to pick up and move to foreign countries on a whim...but time will tell.

Later, I met up with Oniel and his girlfriend for lunch. They took me to an east coast-style deli (which serves such delicacies as cold corned tongue), and it was quite good. The sandwiches were huge, and mine was covered in hot sauce, so I ended up bringing the other half home with me. I likely won't get a chance to finish it, since I have dinner plans every night this week and a fridge full of other leftovers, but I would happily try other sandwiches at that establishment in the future. We had a good time catching up, and I made Oniel jealous that he missed out on playing Worms (although Kathryn didn't seem to mind too much that she missed it), so hopefully I'll see them again sometime soon.

After parting ways with them, I was good and worked on my book. I went to a cafe, and later Tom met me there -- since he's also working on a book, we're good writing companions. I stayed there for 2.5 hours and wrote almost exactly 2000 words, which I felt pretty good about. So, book two is well under way -- I just have to keep it up in spite of my grueling work schedule and my typical procrastinatory urges.

I meant to keep writing tonight, but decided to read a book and do laundry instead. Unfortunately, when I went downstairs to get my laundry out of the dryer, I discovered that one of my loads wasn't dry -- and was in fact so wet that it seemed the dryer hadn't ever started. So now I have to wait until 10:45 to get my clothes out -- particularly unfortunate since I have to be in Mountain View for work in time for a 7:30am meeting :( The chances of writing tomorrow are bleak, but I'll have to pick up the pace later in the week. Now, though, I'm going to get ready for bed so that I can go to sleep as soon as I've picked up my laundry. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what deli?