Wednesday, January 07, 2009

i know by now -- that's the way we do everything, everything

I need to go to bed asap, since I have a meeting at seven a.m. and the meeting is going to be so frustrating that I will likely want to stab myself in the face. So, I suppose I'll leave my Swiss army knife in the car tomorrow morning!

Today rates a fail on the work/life front -- although perhaps not, given that I didn't get to work until nine a.m., I took a ninety-minute lunch, and I left at 5:45. But, I worked from 7:30 until now, when all I really wanted to do was read one of the books that I got from Amazon regarding the French Revolution. The main character in my next romance novel was orphaned when her aristocratic parents perished in France, but she and her loyal nursemaid escaped to England. So, I need to know more about the revolution -- but my work duties beckoned instead. The beginning of the quarter means performance assessments, and since the bonuses of thirteen people rely on me getting my shit together, I suppose working tonight was a worthwhile endeavor.

But lunch was most excellent -- Alaska Matt was back from Japan, but if you want to meet up with him, you've already missed your opportunity, since he's on his way back tomorrow. We discussed a multitude of ridiculous things, including the idea of replacing all manager titles with aristocratic titles instead, and using duels and jousts instead of bloodless promotions in order to create career advancement. It's a good thing we're not in charge.

And then the highlight of my evening was that I carpooled home with Katrina, who decided to take me up on my offer of a ride home. We spent a lot of time discussing work, but we weren't actually working -- we were just discussing. So that was fun, and I followed it up by making some delicious English muffin pizzas (I kind of get into food ruts and eat the same things for days on end; the fact that I like to do that makes cooking for one a hell of a lot easier). Then, I worked until now -- and now, it's time for bed!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you study the French revolution don't lose your head.

Anonymous said...

Girl, you just need to figure out what the heck you want...money, security, corporate whoredom power...or a happy, happy, life writing, and being content enough to never want to stab someone or yourself in the face! YOU CAN DO IT...THE MONEY WILL FOLLOW SO THEY SAY...DONT WASTE TIME...JUST DO IT

Sara said...

@anonymous 1: heh

@anonymous 2: true; I just have to hope the money follows fast enough that I don't starve to death before I can enjoy the fruits of success