Friday, January 30, 2009

the public don't dwell on my transmission 'cause it wasn't televised

Today was a relatively decent day at work. Because I thought that I was going to take today off, I had kept it blocked off until a few days ago -- resulting in only 1.5 hours of meetings. Miracle! Unfortunately, I left the second meeting thoroughly annoyed, but I followed it up with a therapeutic lunch with two of my team leads (Pete and Lisa), so I felt better and was able to get some stuff done this afternoon before taking off so that I could write the story for tomorrow's creative writing class. And I'm going to take next Friday off instead -- I worked today because I wanted to see a presentation that Pete had to give in the meeting that later annoyed me, but I could use a three-day weekend to write.

I just wrote, edited, typed, re-edited, and printed my short story assignment over the past four hours (in addition to doing a load of laundry, eating some frozen enchiladas, and drinking a whole pot of Russian Caravan tea). I'm fairly happy with the result -- I would never write this kind of story or use that kind of style, but it was an interesting exercise. And I successfully wrote a story that has little to do with me (my worldview, perhaps, but definitely none of my personal experiences) and is not based off of anyone I know personally. So, that was great. It's a bit nervewracking to think of reading a couple of pages of it to the class tomorrow -- I would much rather blog the story and send them the link -- but that's because everyone in the class (with the exception of one of my former coworkers) is a complete stranger and I have a chip on my shoulder about being a romance novelist rather than a 'serious' author. I shall report back on how it goes, of course, and will likely post the story on zee romance blog tomorrow.

So the story is done, and while I still have the smashing headache I had yesterday, it hasn't progressed into a full-blown illness yet. I expect that to happen tomorrow. But I have grand plans to write another eighth of my novel this week, and if I'm going to make that happen in addition to doing another assignment for my short story class and prepping for and delivering thirteen reviews at work, I need to get cracking tomorrow. I also want to waste some time by shopping for some new pants -- almost all of my old pants and skirts no longer fit (in a good way), so I need some new bottoms to tide me over as I continue to make progress toward my goals. I guess it's good for me that I'm going to have to buy clothes during a recession, since everything is always on sale, but I would much rather not be in a recession so that I would have a better chance of selling my book. C'est la vie, I suppose. Goodnight!

No comments: