Thursday, January 22, 2009

still your mind and the universe surrenders

It's already bedtime, so I'll make this quick. My commute was enough to make me want to stab myself in the face -- it took an hour and forty minutes to get to work, which meant that instead of being twenty minutes early to my 9am meeting, I was twenty minutes late. It was certainly not an auspicious start to the day -- but given that I only had 3.5 scheduled hours of meetings, plus my allergy shots and some random one-off conversations, the day couldn't be totally terrible. I managed to plug away until 6:45pm and get through a ton of random action items, even though a major part of me wanted to sneak out at three p.m. and write instead. I might have done it if the weather was still as gorgeous as it was last weekend, but today's weather (rainy in the morning, cloudy in the afternoon) was just as conducive to sitting in my office as it was to sitting in a cafe.

But, I had shrimp ceviche for lunch, which was totally delicious. And, I had ample fountain Diet Cokes, which kept me happy for the slog. Best of all, I had dinner plans to look forward too -- Terry, Lauren (aka Subz), and I met up in Menlo Park and spent some quality time catching up on our holidays, our recent life developments, etc. Since we all started in roughly the same era and reached roughly the same levels of professional development in our roles, we have a lot in common (and therefore a lot of shared platforms for dissecting/bitching about what has changed and what has stayed the same). So, that was v. nice, and I enjoyed the afterglow on the v. speedy drive back to the city (which took less half as long as my morning commute).

Now I just have to make it through tomorrow (meetings straight from 9am to 4:30pm), and then it's the weekend! My Stanford class starts on Saturday, so I have a feeling this weekend will be all writing all the time...and I can't wait. Goodnight!

No comments: