Sunday, April 19, 2009

walking on the sidewalk hotter than a matchhead

Today was unbelievably hot. San Francisco is supposed to be cold and windy, but the temperature today was over eighty-five degrees. We're under a heat advisory for tomorrow, with temperatures reaching the nineties -- v. unusual for April, and rather unwelcome given that, due to SF's supposed lack of extreme temperatures, my apartment has no air conditioning. At least there are windows on two sides so that I can get a nice cross-breeze, but today was ridiculous.

I spent the morning doing a bit of stuff for work, then did some Sunday morning primping before Alaska Matt and Kia came to pick me up for brunch. We went to Park Chow over on the west side of the city near Golden Gate Park; I'm 95% sure that it's related to Chow, where Adit, Priyanka, Katrina and I had dinner several months ago. They had an outdoor seating area on the enclosed roof, which was quite lovely despite the oppressive heat. I got all caught up on Matthew and Kia's lives, and am v. sad that they're leaving again -- they've been back from Tokyo since last week, and they're moving to Dublin in less than two weeks. Sad! It's also making my wandering gene flare up, and I'm trying to smother the whispers encouraging me to move abroad again...

After brunch, I had my usual Sunday call with my parents, which was nice. Then, I went to Starbucks for an iced drink, since I have no ice in my apartment and needed a break from Cherry Coke Zero. I also did a couple of loads of laundry, then spent the rest of the night working on zee romance novel. It's still going well, and I need to carve out time to keep making progress on it this week -- which may mean trying to get up early so that I can edit/write before work, since my boss is in town this week and so I have a lot of evening commitments. We'll see whether my desire to be a successful novelist outweighs my early-morning sloth...

No comments: