Wednesday, December 23, 2009

come on ride the train

Well, I lied in my last post; I ended up staying up for another couple of hours after claiming that I was going to bed, and so I ultimately slept until almost noon. I dallied for awhile, put more tinsel in my hair, took a bubble bath, and then made my sole contribution to today's productivity -- a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for the holidays. These are among my father's favorite cookies, so even though my mother made sugar cookies, peanut butter blossoms with chocolate stars, and chocolate peppermint patty cookies, the fourth type of cookie was still necessary. I also made some margaritas, and we looked back fondly on the time that my mom had alcohol poisoning in Ukraine and ended up spending the night throwing up in the bathroom of our ridiculous Soviet-era hotel. Then, my dad made the most amazing barbecued ribs I've had in recent memory, my mom made macaroni and cheese, and we ate a leisurely dinner before finishing our game of Rail Baron from a couple of nights ago. After a combined game time of almost seven hours, my mother won; she tried to make it home once and I caught her, but she had enough money to try again on the next round and got home before anyone could catch her. At that point, it was ten p.m., and I've been watching tv since then.

We're ready for Christmas, but the weather could impede things; there's a massive storm in the area, but temperatures are treacherous, and so it's not entirely clear when we will have rain, when it will turn to ice, and how much snow we might get at the end. I hope we get some snow at the end to cover up the mud, but obviously that means that there may be a layer of ice under the snow, which is never a good thing. Uncle Mark, Aunt Becky and their families are supposed to come down tomorrow, so hopefully everyone makes it in and out over the next couple of days.

If they do get here tomorrow, I will need to get up around nine, so I should probably follow through with my idea to go to bed. Goodnight!

No comments: