Thursday, December 10, 2009

i don't "not" want to be your maid of honor

The title of this post is in reference to my friend Rat, who took something that I said tonight as an invitation to be my maid of honor and was then hurt when I rescinded the offer. Ha. He would actually make a lovely maid of honor, so we shall see what we shall see!

Today was a lovely day; I got up in time to actually wear a dress, tights, and heels to work (not that this really requires more effort, but it looks more put-together than the cashmere hoodies I've been rocking since successfully acquiring my promotion). I made it to work in plenty of time for my eight a.m. meeting, sat through two hours of discussion, did some work, and then had a lovely lunch with Sarah, my coworker/friend who started the same month that I did but is now based out of Singapore. It was great to catch up and spend some one-on-one time with her, although it did make me miss having her here all over again. Then, I slogged through the afternoon, had a meeting with my boss (the big boss, although I can't keep calling her that if she's just my boss) that went well, and then pretended to work for another hour before peacing out. My company is apparently bringing back a handful of the old ridiculous perks we used to have; today there was a holiday soiree outside, and they covered the sidewalks with slush (possibly real slush from the snow-covered foothills near us?) brought in a few real reindeer, and served champagne, raw oysters, crab cakes, kobe beef meatballs, caviar, etc. So I loaded up on a few appetizers before leaving early and making my way back to the evil city, talking to my parents on the way.

I tried to write when I got home, and did just a little bit, but then got sidetracked by stuff for the day job. Then, in a highly uncharacteristic move, I actually *went out for drinks* on a Wednesday. I met up with Vidya, Julie, Rat, and Deano at a bar a couple of blocks from the Chandlord's; it would have been more convenient if I still lived at Vidya's, but since I do not, I had to drive and so did not consume much alcohol (in fact, half of two different drinks -- one strawberry champagne martini that Vidya claimed tasted like poison, and she might have been right, and then half a glass of riesling). We hung out there for a couple of hours and had a generally lovely time, reminiscing and letting Rat tell ridiculously awful jhokes. Then, I chauffeured them all home so that they wouldn't have to brave the cold (it was 37 degrees when I got to work this morning, which is unheard of, and worth complaining about even if my family is buried under 12" of snow), and now it's time for bed. Tomorrow promises to be busy, so sleep is essential. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

swampheadfriendshiptime!!!!