Friday, December 11, 2009

i'm hiding out and planning my escape

I have v. little to blog about tonight. I didn't get enough sleep last night, which left me with a headache all day, and rendered me a bit less productive than I should have been. But, I had lunch with some of my former team members, and then snuck out around 2pm to watch "The Men Who Stare at Goats" with Joy. Joy had pulled an all-nighter on some stuff for work last night, and so when my boss told her to take a break, I went with her even though I didn't deserve it. The movie was good -- not great, but it made me laugh, which was exactly what we wanted. After the movie, I worked for another couple of hours, then made the annoying trek back to the evil city.

I was supposed to go to Vidya's book club tonight, but since I was cold, tired, and not in the mood for book club (particularly book club with no book involved), I skipped it and read a book instead. I've been on a paranormal romance kick, probably because it's far removed from everything I want to or am supposed to be writing (Regency historicals, young-adult fantasy, and "legitimate" literary fiction). So, it should be no surprise that the book I read was called "The Accidental Demon Slayer". It was good and v. entertaining; I didn't totally fall in love with the writing style, but the character development was fantastic.

Now, it's past my bedtime again -- it's been nice that I've been reading a lot more lately, but it's wreaking havoc on my sleep schedule. The problem is that I struggle to put a book down; once I'm enmeshed in the world, I forget to eat, drink, or move. The result is that I always feel like I'm waking up from a long dream after reading a book. For instance, I started reading around 7:45 and finished the book by 11:15 -- but in that time, I stayed motionless on the couch, and came back to life with a ridiculous crick in my neck and a rumbling stomach from skipping dinner. If only I could focus on my writing with that single-minded intensity...I would be unstoppable. But that's a goal for another day; right now, it's time for bed!

No comments: