Monday, December 21, 2009

i'm just looking for clues at the scene of the crime

I had an appalling lazy day -- which, I suppose, is to be expected of vacation, but it feels worse when you're engaging in your vacation while everyone else in the house is still working. Okay -- it doesn't feel that much worse, and it didn't stop me from sleeping until eleven and staying in my pajamas until almost four p.m. Why I even bothered to get dressed, I don't know, but I have to maintain some semblance of productivity, even if it's just to remind myself that I do have goals and things that I want to accomplish while I'm on vacation.

I did cross one task (ordering Christmas cards) off my list, although they likely won't reach their intended recipients until after the holidays. I also wrapped approximately twelve presents; this is unfortunately not quite halfway through what I need to wrap, but it's better than nothing. The four of us had supper together, and then my parents went to a Round Barn meeting while I spent a couple of hours watching television with my brother. He has a tv downstairs, with several couches spread out in the big living space (which also happens to contain a kitchen replete with a stove and fridge) -- but I find it very strange to have a second living room/den, since the house we grew up in didn't have that kind of space, and so I never think to use it even though it's quite nice. For instance, my tv was down there the entire time I was home on leave in 2008, and I could have easily subscribed to Netflix and watched all the movies I've intended to watch my entire life, but instead I just watched whatever fine CBS programming my parents watched. Strange.

Tomorrow holds more of the same in store, although I should probably get up a little earlier to accomplish the things I need to focus on -- I want to finish wrapping presents tomorrow, and my mother is hinting that I should bake some cookies. It's quite the idyllic life I live out here in the country; there may be no fancy wine bars and none of the cafes (or friends) that I adore, but it's nice to be home nonetheless. And now, I'm off to bed -- goodnight!

No comments: