Tuesday, May 04, 2010

moving madness

I still have that stupid Matchbox 20 song from last night stuck in my head. I blame Justin Bieber; even though he sings a completely different song, his song still has the words "baby baby baby", and today I watched a ridiculous clip from an interview he did in New Zealand in which it became clear that he doesn't know what the word "German" means (see it here at my favorite gossip site: http://www.dlisted.com/node/37136). How can you possibly be a teenager and not know about anything German???

Anyway, I slogged through the day, then slipped out around five p.m. to get the keys to my new place. I spent half an hour there measuring, examining, and starting to think about how I'm going to arrange things; while I can rearrange to my heart's content while I'm there, I have one piece of furniture (a glass-doored library cabinet) that I can't move alone (or likely even with help), and so I need to know where it's going before the movers deposit it into its permanent home. I'm pretty excited about the place; the one downside is that I will have to invest immediately in lamps, since the previous tenant appeared to have taken many of the fixtures with him, but since there are windows everywhere, this wasn't a problem this afternoon. But I think the place is going to be really cool when I have it set up, and I'm looking forward to getting settled in.

After that, I went back to Mountain View to have dinner with Tolu, Jane and Lizzie (three of my oldest work friends; we started temping around the same time, although Jane and Lizzie have long since moved on). We had dinner and drinks at Cascal, which was delicious. Lizzie is moving to Seattle in a few weeks, so this was one of our last regularly-scheduled dinners; even though my packing drama is getting increasingly...dramatic, I didn't want to skip because I don't know if I'll be in town for the next one anyway. So it was good to catch up, even if I didn't get much packing done tonight as a result.

By the time I got home, it was a little after nine p.m., and I spent an hour and a half sorting through the kitchen, doing dishes, throwing out or packing nonperishables, and figuring out what is mine vs. what is Adit's. This wasn't as much progress as I would have liked to have made (I intended to pack all the dishes tonight), but it's 90mins further along than I could have been. Luckily, even though I have to be at work at 8am tomorrow morning, I can leave a bit early and get back up here at a reasonable hour, so getting through the kitchen and hopefully the rest of my books tomorrow night is well within reach.

Now it's time for bed; the eight a.m. meeting is the big boss's staff meeting (can't she postpone these things so I can get some sleep?), so I need to get up on time. Goodnight!

No comments: