Tuesday, May 04, 2010

but if the bright lights don't receive you, you can turn yourself around and come on home

I took Adit to work today, and the 'genius' playlist on my iPod proved its genius with a mix specially designed to torment him. It was so bad that it almost tormented me; far too much Dave Matthews, and now I have a Matchbox 20 song stuck in my head (Adit said the only two musicians he hates are Dave Matthews and Rob Thomas, giving even Nickelback a reprieve from the special circle of hell he's reserved for those two). Of course, it didn't help that traffic was insane even on 280, leading to a non-ideal commute.

But, the commute will only happen three more days; I'm moving on Friday, and so the end is in sight. I managed to get a lot done at work today despite my desire to start packing, and I'm all caught up on my vacation emails. That doesn't mean this week will be easy, since I have a lot to do at work before leaving for Adit's wedding next week, but at least I didn't waste the day despite my desire to indulge in some post-vacation glow.

I slipped out of the office at five p.m. so that I could make it back to the evil city before my storage unit place closed for the day, and I made it just in time to give notice on my unit (prompting the woman who runs the place to say that if one more person gives notice today, she's going to cry, which made me feel bad -- it's the best storage unit ever, so let me know if you want a storage recommendation). I then got all my empty boxes out of the unit so that the packing frenzy can begin.

When I got home, I took care of some small stuff around the house, and then John and Jess came over to have dinner with Adit and me. We went to this Vietnamese place that I've never been to even though it's right around the corner, and it was totally delicious -- how sad is it that I'm moving to a relative culinary wasteland after being within a block or two of all sorts of wonderful food? Granted, Palo Alto isn't the equivalent of, say, Stockton, and there are plenty of restaurants down there that I love. But, I will miss being able to walk to them (although since I won't be spending two hours a day in my car, maybe I won't mind driving to go out to eat).

Dinner was super fun; we discussed the future, since Adit is leaving and John and Jess are determining what they will do now that they're both wrapping things up at Berkeley. We also discussed Korean gamers, Google Buzz, a variety of jhokes, and Adit's most recent favorite phrase ("bucket of liquid feces" -- pleasant, right?). Unfortunately, we had to part ways so that they could get back to the dirty east bay and Adit and I could get back to preparing for the move.

Even though it was almost ten p.m. when we got home, I managed to pack seven boxes of stuff (mostly office supplies, books, and some shoes). This is a small dent, but it's a dent nonetheless, and I'm feeling better about my ability to get everything packed before Friday morning. I'm being much less judicious about my sorting, and I'm not bothering to throw anything away; since I just moved in August and threw away a lot of stuff then, there hasn't been that much extraneous crap to accrue, and frankly I don't have time to mess with it. So, dumping stuff into boxes is a lot faster this way, even if I still intend to carefully wrap all of my dishes and breakable souvenirs.

While I want to keep packing, I think it's time for bed instead. I have to go to work tomorrow at some point even though I only have one meeting, and I'm going to stay until six because I have dinner plans in the south bay tomorrow night. Then it's back to packing; the task for tomorrow night is the kitchen, which will be no small feat. Goodnight!

No comments: