Thursday, May 20, 2010

the party doesn't start til i walk in

I have to be on a train to Paris in less than six hours, so this will necessarily be a four-minute post. Despite the fact that I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I was choking on my lung, I had a good day -- the big boss's staff offsite went v. well, despite a lot of jetlag in the room. We started off by discussing our personality types, which was interesting; as I mentioned last week, I'm an ENTP (boo-yah), but it was cool to see what the rest of the people in the group were. The big boss is an ENTJ, and virtually every person in the group was a T (only 2 of the 12 were F's). I will spare you any more details about people whom you don't know and don't care about, but since I like personality test stuff, it was all good for me.

The rest of the day was spent in deep discussion, with a couple of fifteen minute breaks and a half hour for lunch, which was rather brutal. We did have a short break before dinner, so I managed to come back to the hotel, pack almost everything, and take a fifteen minute nap before rendezvousing with the staff for dinner. We went to Mango Tree, a Thai restaurant a couple of blocks from here, where we spent three hours eating a lot, drinking a moderate amount (two Thai mojitos for me, natch), and generally making merry. We then adjourned to a bar next door, where we stayed until midnight; I should have been in bed two hours ago, but it's hard to walk away from a gathering like that, particularly when the group sees each other in person about once a quarter.

However, I finally escaped, came back to the hotel, finished packing, and am now ready for bed. I have to get up around 5am to catch a 6:55am train to Paris -- I would yell at whoever booked such an early train, but I did it to myself. At least I can sleep on it, I suppose; when I get to Paris, I want to see as much as possible because it turns out that Sunday is Pentecost, and some public places are closed even though the French aren't particularly religious (and isn't it odd that Pentecost Monday -- aka Whit Monday -- is a national holiday in a country that doesn't allow headscarves on the basis that it's too religious??) Anyway, I digress, and my four minutes are up -- goodnight!

No comments: