Tuesday, June 22, 2010

come on angel, come on come on darling, let's exchange the experience

I'm rather annoyed with myself; I spent the evening procrastinating, and it wasn't even entirely enjoyable procrastinating. A lot of it was stuff that has been on my to-do list for awhile, but the fact that I prioritized it above writing meant that it was procrastination. I finally caught up on email to my alter-ego account, signed up for an all-day retreat at the romance conference with a specialty group focused just on Regency-period research and writing, and retinseled my hair (in a lovely shade of bright pink). I also cut up several peppers and onions to freeze, and made myself some delicious veggie fajitas rather than just heating up an Amy's enchilada as per usual. I did a little bit of work for the day job, while procrastinating and wasting time on the internet. And then I packed for the conference I'm going to tomorrow; it's in San Francisco and lasts almost exactly 48 hours long, but because it's more time-consuming to plan and edit one's wardrobe down, I somehow ended up with two dresses, four tops, a pair of jeans, a couple of sweaters, two sets of pajamas, and five pairs of shoes. Whatever -- it all fit in my carryon bag, and I'm not going to make myself feel less ridiculous by spending half an hour figuring out exactly what I don't need.

Perhaps I procrastinated because I actually worked pretty hard at the day job today; not to say that I don't always work hard (ahem), but the only break I took today was a long-scheduled lunch with my friend Jason, and we had to abbreviate it because I needed to get back to the desk. I got tapped to pull together some talking points for my company's CEO for his speech at the conference I'm going to tomorrow, which was fun, but obviously that meant that I had to drop the myriad other things that I needed to take care of (all for usually-important people who aren't used to getting deprioritized because of an even-more-important person). So, I'll have to slog quite hard tomorrow morning to make sure I'm ready for the conference -- but, I shall survive.

I suppose I should go to bed now; I'm feeling a little too cranky about not making progress on my book today to go to sleep, but I also don't want to be a zombie tomorrow (vampire or werewolf tomorrow, yes, but not a zombie). Although maybe I wouldn't want to be a vampire, since it's the solstice and so my party time tomorrow would be more limited. Anyway, on that absurd note, it's time for bed!

No comments: