Wednesday, June 02, 2010

so you think you can write slides

I should really go to bed; I forced myself to stay up even though I desperately wanted to take a nap, but since I have to be at the office at 7:30am for a conference call, I should get some sleep now. Today was moderately lovely; work was boring (starting with a two-hour big boss staff meeting), but I had lunch with a coworker and then promptly left to work from home for the rest of the day, so it wasn't terrible. The reason I came home was because Comcast was supposed to set up my cable and internet; the guy showed up around 3pm, and hooked up my phone and internet, so I've returned to the modern world. Unfortunately, my wireless router doesn't seem to be working (it's six years old, was already in its death throes, and I dropped it today and managed to bruise my wrist almost inexplicably in the process), and even though my plan is supposed to come with HBO, it's not coming in, which will necessitate a call to Comcast (one of my least favorite activities, right up there with getting ultrasonic cleaning done on my teeth). But, I was able to watch a lot of Top Chef: Masters tonight while working, so television is good.

The one sad thing is that I discovered that I'm going to have to rearrange my living room. The wall that I was going to put my TV against has an outlet -- but I discovered that the outlet is only a two-prong outlet, since the house is old and some of the outlets don't have the third prong. So my options are to rearrange everything, or buy a long extension cord and run it all the way across the living room in some attempted-unobtrusive way. I think moving everything is probably the better solution, unfortunately, but I don't have the energy to do it now -- so the TV is propped precariously on the fireplace hearth, and the router is chilling on the floor.

But, the day brightened up considerably when Vidius Chandicus dropped by; she was my first official guest in my new place! She was in finer form today than she was at during lunch yesterday, and we celebrated that fact by going to Coupa Cafe. She had a mexican hot chocolate, I had a tiger spice chai, we shared a red velvet cake, and we amused ourselves by listening to what appeared to be two fairly dimwitted Stanford Business School students discussing some event or project. All in all, a fun time was had by me, and I think Vidya enjoyed herself as well.

After we parted ways, I came home, indulged in television, and worked on some powerpoint (ugh) for a couple of hours. And now, it's time for bed; I have the 7:30am meeting that I mentioned above, and must slog steadily all day, but I'm hoping to get some writing in tomorrow night. Goodnight!

2 comments:

f...... said...

just get one of these adapters from the hardware store - no unsightly extension cords needed - cost less than a dollar?LTM 3-Prong Plug Adapter PA901055

ComcastCares1 said...

Congrats on your new place! Yes, you can just get the inexpensive 3 prong adapter.

I decided to post because HBO is not yet showing. I'd like to help, I am from Comcast. Contact me with your info and I'll help. :)

Sorry for the trouble.

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_can_help@cable.comcast.com