Wednesday, June 16, 2010

somewhere deep down inside, something is saying, 'love doesn't last that long'

Today was excellent in the 'getting back on the horse' kind of way. I didn't get up early and write as I intended, but I did slog quite successfully all day; if I'm lucky, I might be almost caught up from my trip by the weekend. I cut out of the office around 5:30 to have coffee with my friend Natasha; we were only able to hang out an hour, which as it turned out was not long enough, but it was lovely to see her after a v. long travel-induced hiatus.

After coffee, I drove to my favorite cafe in the entire south bay (Cafe Borrone, of course), where I had a fantastic sandwich and a glass of white wine while contemplating my novel. And for the first time in a long time, I didn't just contemplate it -- I successfully wrote six pages (~1500 words), most of which was a steamy scene in a carriage (hence the wine). I've still got a long row to hoe to finish this book, but I'm finally, *finally* writing again, and I intend to keep it that way. It felt so good to actually get it down on paper -- I would have kept writing longer, but I ended up throwing in the towel around 8:45pm and coming home because I still had some work to do. I procrastinated a bit by watching some tv, but then I resolutely turned off the television and finished the slides that I had to make for tomorrow's eight a.m. big-boss staff meeting.

So unfortunately I have to be at the office by eight a.m., and I have dinner plans (that's not unfortunate, just inconvenient for my writing, but exciting for seeing friends), so I have to decide whether I can get up early tomorrow or whether I can try to write after dinner. Momentum is so important...but I am quite slothful and in love with my bed, so I'm not sure what's going to win out. We shall see, we shall see...regardless, it's time for bed!

No comments: