Thursday, June 17, 2010

harder better faster stronger

I failed to write today; the day job was rather consuming. It always is on Wednesdays -- between the big boss's staff meeting and my standing weekly 1:! with the big boss (today stretched to ninety minutes instead of sixty), I have more meetings than usual, and those meetings inevitably result in a mountain of follow-up work. Today was no exception; it's clear that the next few weeks are going to be a little more horrendous than usual for the day job. This may be a good thing, since before my travels I was starting to get bored -- but with my workaholic tendencies, I need to be careful what I wish for.

So I was at the office from 8am to 6:25pm, and then I left (ten minutes later than I should have) to meet up with Tolu, Jane, Lizzie and Joann for sushi (ironic, since I was just in Japan four days ago). Joann just moved back to the States after almost two years in Singapore, and Lizzie is moving to Seattle (she leaves tomorrow to look for apartments), so this was the only chance for all five of us to get together (until Tolu's wedding in July, of course). It's great to have Joann back, sad that Lizzie is leaving, but at least we're maintaining balance in the number of people who go to these dinners. It was great to catch up with everybody, and we had a fairly ridiculous conversation in which I decided I should write a book about a werewhale (a hot pirate who, at sunset, becomes a whale). Yes, it's ridiculous, and no, I'll probably never write it, but it made me laugh so hard I almost cried, so that was good for a few minutes of amusement.

After dinner, I came home just in time to watch the season premiere of "Top Chef: Washington DC". I didn't focus on it totally because I had work to do, but I watched it just closely enough to form some opinions about some of the chefs. Then, I watched an episode of "Dinner: Impossible" while wrapping up my slide making, and now it's time for bed.

Unfortunately, I have to be in the office at 8am tomorrow, and then I have a five hour break between the end of my last morning meeting and the 5:30-6pm meeting I forced upon myself. I really need to write tomorrow -- I'm not going to be silly like I was this morning and set my alarm for 5:45, since I'll inevitably just reset it in the morning, but I'm going to slog my hardest at the office so that I don't have to do anything when I get home other than write. Luckily the big boss is gone tomorrow afternoon and all day Friday, so that should give me a bit of a breather -- Madeleine and Ferguson were left in quite a state of, shall we say, frustrated need in their carriage, and I should get back to them sooner rather than later. Now, though, it's time for me to sleep -- goodnight!

2 comments:

the pirate wench said...

Perhaps your uncle could provide you with insight into the werewhale storyline. While he is not a were or a whale - he is a hot pirate!

Sara said...

ew.