Saturday, November 20, 2010

all of these things are written in the sand behind me

It's raining tonight, and my cabin is feeling like the perfect setting for the start of a postapocalyptic zombie horror movie (which I wish I hadn't just imagined, since that's not really a comfortable thing to contemplate right before going to bed). Luckily, it wasn't raining this morning and my plans for the day went off mostly without a hitch. I pulled myself out of bed by nine (shocker -- well, less of a shocker since I then returned to bed to make some phone calls and take care of some business, but as my apartment was 55 degrees and my bed was approximately ninety degrees since I tend to heat up like a furnace at night, I can be forgiven), got ready, and was out the door by 10:45 to make it up to the evil city for a hair appointment at noon.

Readers who are obsessive about the smallest details of my life will recall that my stylist in Palo Alto left the salon she's been at for years to be part of a startup new salon in the city of sin. This would not be that big of a deal, since my hair usually doesn't get split ends and can go a year without desperately needing a trim -- but with the twin issues of having bangs (which require trims) and going to the gym five times a week (which requires shampooing my hair, since sadly I sweat rather than glow), I need to get my hair cut more often, and now I have to drive to the city to do it. I suppose I could find another stylist, but I love Susie -- she grew up in Wisconsin, and so we bond over the midwest and get along smashingly.

The salon is lovely, even though it's still unfinished (they just opened two days ago), and the staff was super friendly. Susie chopped several inches off the bottom (which I suppose is obvious, since she could hardly chop it off the top), lightening it up, which was great. I'm debating coloring my hair for the first time ever, and she and Dustin (the senior colorist) were practically salivating over the idea of having their way with my "virgin" hair. So unless I chicken out, I have an appointment to get highlights in December...we'll see whether I still have the courage then, or whether I stick with my dull, safe browns.

I just remembered that I always tend to do something to my hair when I'm wanting a change (such as cutting bangs a week before resigning from my job), and it's a wee bit sooner than I expected to be feeling that desire for change again. But I will shove that thought back into the darker reaches of my brain where it belongs. After getting my hair done, I called my father to wish him a happy birthday (happy birthday, Daddy!), then went to Samovar for a long lunch/writing session. The usual staff suspects were there, and one of them hugged me since it had been so long since my last visit (which I believe was in August). So I wrote for a couple of hours over my usual masala chai, salmon quiche, etc., as well as a pot of bai mudan (a really lovely white tea), and I stocked up on English Breakfast tea so that I can enjoy the pleasures of Samovar from the comfort and cheapness of my own home. The writing went well, albeit slowly, and so I'm going to throw myself into it this weekend without any other distractions.

After Samovar, I went to the airport to pick up Tammy (aka Tammmmmehhh), who is visiting for the week. This was basically my only chance to see her, since I'm going to LA, and I capitalized on the experience by making fun of her and letting her make fun of me, as per usual. We drove down to Menlo Park, had coffee at Cafe Borrone, and then met her boyfriend Daniel (who lives out here, which is why she was here -- she clearly wasn't here to see me) at Iberia for tapas and wine. Sadly, the highlight of the evening was speculating why on earth anyone at Iberia (home of expensive tapas and high quality wines) would order four pitchers of Fanta, since we were eating at the bar and saw one of the servers spend several minutes filling pitchers with Fanta from the soda gun. That wasn't really the highlight of the evening, but everything else was mostly inside jhokes or would not retell well here, and so I will leave it to your imagination.

I'm glad I got to see Tammy before my sojourn south; we parted ways around nine, and I may get to see her next weekend if I drive back in time and she's not too busy with her other plans. Then I came home, took care of some emails, and generally procrastinated. And now, it's time for bed; I have a training session with Alyssa tomorrow at ten a.m., and she may not be happy with me since I skipped the gym both yesterday and today. Oops. Goodnight!

2 comments:

Claudia said...

They put fanta in the sangria...apparently that's the secret ingredient that allows them to spike their wine, not only with brandy, but also vodka and rum. Anyway what are your plans for the Holidays will you be in the city at any point?

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, I clearly wanted to see you...you're the one who ditched me for los angeles. Keep lying and I'm going to punch you in the face with your outlandish ring.