Monday, November 15, 2010

it's hard to hold a candle in the cold november rain

I have a smashing headache, likely because I had nearly no caffeine today -- a single Diet Coke and a half-finished mug of tea aren't enough for me. The tea wasn't doing it because I'm down to the dregs of my last tin of Samovar English Breakfast and so I switched to bagged stuff, which I now taste as wildly inferior. No, I haven't given up tea because I'm trying to save money; buying looseleaf isn't that much more expensive than buying teabags, and given how much tea I drink, I might as well buy it in bulk as though I'm an aristocratic housewife from days of yore. But Samovar is in the evil city, just close enough that it's silly to pay for shipping, but far enough away that I don't get there as often as I used to. I'm tentatively going up on Friday to get my hair cut (so that Susie can even out my bangs from my passable effort to trim them myself the other day when they crossed the line from artistic to shabby), so I shall stock up on tea then, and perhaps my headache will subside.

So today was a busy day but not in the way I would have preferred; I rolled out of bed around ten and spent most of the morning/afternoon working on closing out that freelance project I've been working on. They're launching their site on Tuesday, so hopefully with another round of edits tomorrow I'll be able to wrap things up. Around three p.m., I talked to my parents as per our usual Sunday ritual, and then I did a bit more freelance stuff before going to the gym and reading a design magazine to distract myself from the tyranny of the treadmill. Then I came home, did a last little bit of freelance, procrastinated a bit, reread some bits of my manuscript, and played with my writing software (they just released a new version and I took the time to upgrade).

All in all, none of this is interesting to any of you, so I insincerely apologize for that. But I'm going to bed now (at 11:23pm, shocking) so that I can get up early and get cracking on my crazily absurd goal to finish a draft of my book in two weeks -- it's going to be as close to the wire as it can possibly be, which is my preferred position, so hopefully I can pull it out. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

State championship game Saturday at 1:05. North Polk v. Iowa City Regina. Today: N Polk 42 over Sheldon. ICR over N Fayette 35 to 7. ICR is ranked number one in the polls. N Polk is unranked and has defeated three ranked teams to reach the championship.