Saturday, November 13, 2010

at night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines

It's almost 3:30am and I'm utterly wiped out, so this post will be necessarily brief. I just wrote off an on (almost entirely on) for the last ten hours, and while it was v. important and I'm glad I did it, perhaps it would have been smarter to have written two hours every day this week rather than trying to cram it all in at once. But, with this massive effort, I got to a point with the first half of my manuscript that I felt comfortable (not thrilled, but comfortable) sending it to a small handful of trusted beta readers for feedback. And now, I can move on to pounding out the first draft of the rest of the book, hopefully in a couple of weeks of caffeine-fueled hysteria. Great plan, right?

Before I started writing, I did manage to get out of the house; I had my regular every-three-weeks lunch with Gyre, and we discussed all the stuff I've missed in the last few weeks (basically, nothing). Then, I made a quick stop in downtown Mountain View to pick up the contacts that I ordered a month ago and neglected to ever retrieve before coming home and making myself an absolutely perfect latte with the stovetop espresso maker my parents gave me for my birthday. I took an extended break to chat with Terry and Heather (aka dear respected madam) online before diving into the book -- and I stayed dove in, taking a break to have a steak and a baked potato (one of my favorite comfort meals).

I mailed out the drafts half an hour ago, then did some cleanup on my laptop, and now I need to sleep. I have a ridiculous crick in my neck from huddling on the couch under blankets while trying to write, and I'm sure I looked just as absurd, since I was wearing striped gloves that I had cut the fingertips off of so that I could still type while keeping my hands warm. Verily, I am living the good life.

Okay, I'm off to bed; tomorrow I need to go to the gym, then it's onward and upward to the second half of the book. Goodnight!

No comments: