Sunday, November 07, 2010

i keep waiting for you but you never come

I didn't write today, but I treated today as the chance to take away all my excuses for not writing tomorrow. I had a hard time rolling out of bed this morning since I stayed up so late last night, but I made it into the gym for the seventh day in a row and worked out with my trainer (Alyssa - she might as well get an early upgrade to named-status on my blog, since I'm going to be seeing a lot of her). She is awesome, and I love her already, particularly since she has a good sense for how much I can do to ensure that I'm sore without being totally crippled (a big improvement over the trainer I used at work a couple of times in September, who pushed me so hard that I could barely walk down the stairs, and who I now realize may have messed up my left calf, since it gets into pain way faster than anything else).

Seven days in a row is the longest consecutive stretch of daily gym-going I've had since my past-life incarnation as a hoplite in ancient Sparta, so I'm giving myself tomorrow off. Alyssa and I worked out a schedule where I train with her twice, go in three times on my own, and take two days off every week, which is totally doable in my funemployed state. But I'm counting tomorrow as a free day, which means that I have nowhere else to be but at my desk.

Speaking of my desk, my other major task for the day was to fully, utterly clean up my desk so that I have no excuse not to work at it. I'm v. pleased with the results; with the bookcase that arrived on Tuesday and the file cabinet I already had, I've sort of created a u-shaped workspace with access to all my research books, my files, my many and varied office supplies, and a wide assortment of desk flair and memorabilia. The workspace extends a bit farther into the living room than it did before, but it also looks more welcoming and inviting, so I'm happy to make that trade-off.

But, the process of cleaning, organizing, unpacking and repacking the boxes I brought home from work, putting away the laundry I did on Wednesday that was still strewn all of my living room, and doing a variety of other tings took all afternoon and evening. I did watch Stanford trounce Arizona while cleaning, and also watched last week's "Top Chef: Just Desserts" and a couple of episodes of Craig. Then, I did about ninety minutes of work for that freelance project I'm working on, and now it's time for bed. Tomorrow, I write!

No comments: