Friday, November 19, 2010

win-win situation

Today started out fine and ended in complete disaster. I got up and did a very respectable amount of writing, and then got dressed and had lunch with John at my old place of employment. We actually went over to the side of campus where I worked when I first started there seven years ago, back when the company was confined to just those buildings, before we started hiring like drunken sailors and long before I left to be an "artist". The cafe we went to was quite good, with these little sweet potato pie tarts that were much more delicious than the granola bars I would have been eating for lunch if I were on my own. And it was good to see John; I didn't go for the free lunch, contrary to what my sweet potato pie rhapsody might imply.

After lunch, I went to a Starbucks for a couple of hours, where I wrote some more. Then, I met up with Chandlord at 4pm, and we proceeded to have an absolutely terrible night. First, we went to Joya, where we had wine, empanadas, guacamole with "new world" chips (which means yucca, plantains, taro, etc.), and churros -- balanced meal, right? Fueled by that nutritious and delicious meal, we came back to my place, where we then spent the next four hours torturing ourselves with a movie double-header. We started off with "Letters to Juliet" because we were going for romantic comedy, which turned out to be a really boring, disappointing film with no chemistry and no discernible acting talent (other than Vanessa Redgrave, who was completely wasted on it). Then, rather than redeem ourselves, we watched "Sex and the City 2", which may have been the worst movie I had ever seen in my entire life. It would not have been the worst if it had only been 75 minutes, but instead, it was 2 hours and 26 minutes that I should have spent working on my book instead.

I can't decide whether we should have drank while we watched the movies or not; drinking may have improved things, but then again, at least tomorrow I will only feel bad about myself and not also suffering from a hangover. Now, Chandlord is falling asleep on my couch and I need to go to bed so that I can make it up to the city tomorrow in time to get my hair cut -- goodnight!

No comments: