Tuesday, January 04, 2011

all right now

I should have gone to bed ages ago, but I was too excited about Stanford's crushing performance in the Orange Bowl to go to sleep. It was an awesome night of football, even if I had to watch it streaming over the interwebs rather than on tv, since my parents don't have cable (although my brother did hook his laptop up to his tv, allowing me to get as close as possible to a traditional viewing experience). Harbaugh's attitude amuses me, Luck was amazing, and I'm looking forward to seeing CBS's profile on Owen Marecic tomorrow night -- all in all, it was an exciting day to be a Stanford alum.

The rest of my day was decent too; I dragged myself out of bed around 10:30 and made it into town by noon to have lunch with Hannah, one of my best friends from high school who now lives half an hour away and works as a naturalist for a resort in the next county over. It was good to see her; she came to my grandmother's birthday party a couple of weeks ago, but we didn't really have time to catch up then, so I'm glad we were able to get together before my departure. After lunch, I came home, did some procrastinating, had supper (maidrites and mac and cheese), and then watched part of the Iowa State/Northern Illinois basketball game while waiting for the Orange Bowl to start. It was an ugly game, but Fred Hoiberg (the hometown hero who became one of ISU's most storied players, played in the NBA for ten years, retired due to a heart issue, took a job in the Timberwolves' front office, and then became head coach of ISU without any previous coaching experience) is hands down one of the most attractive basketball coaches in the country today. And, er, he's doing great things to turn the program around, despite having less than ten eligible players this season. In fact, two of ISU's football players just walked on as basketball players this morning, and they were already in uniform and on the floor tonight, if that says anything about the critical lack of depth on ISU's bench. But Hoiberg seems to have great coaching instincts, and I'm hopeful that he'll turn things around.

But the rest of the night was all about Stanford, and I shall go to bed happy. I need to get up fairly early tomorrow so that I can pack up my Christmas presents and get them to the lumber yard (which serves as the UPS drop off point) by noonish. I leave for California on Wednesday, so tomorrow is going to be busy. Goodnight!

No comments: