Friday, January 21, 2011

like indecision to call you and hear your voice of treason

Man, I have the worst headache -- I blame it on Adit. He certainly gets credit for enough other things in life that he should take credit for this one too, right?

sssanyway, today started off wonderfully, tapered off into boredom, had a brief flash of excitement again, and then ended in the pain of my pain-filled head (and if I write something like "pain of my pain-filled head", you know I'm not thinking clearly). I made it into the gym by eight a.m. for my training appointment with Alyssa, who made me do a variety of exercises, including doing squats while my face was about six inches from the wall so that it would force me to overcome my tendency to lean forward (fear of face-planting does work wonders for me while exercising, it turns out). After we wrapped up, I showered quickly, blowdried my hair (shocking, I know), and came home just in time to make a mug of tea before talking to my agent.

The conversation was great; she loves the first half of Madeleine and Ferguson's story, thought my current ending sounds good, and is excited to get it out into the market when I'm done. I'm targeting wrapping it up and sending it to her by the first of March (and to my beta readers sometime in mid-February -- those of you who read the first half don't have to wait long now for the second, if you're willing to read it!). She'll have to read it and give feedback, and I need some time to write a working synopsis for the next book so that she can try to sell them as a series, but the overall goal is for her to pitch it to editors starting April first (an auspicious day, since it celebrates not only all fools, but the birth of my favorite fool of all, Ritu Rani).

So, that's all v. good news. We also talked about the market, how she's feeling, etc.; while she cannot in any way guarantee that this book will sell, she has sold over a hundred in the past year, so at least I know she's solvent and not going anywhere. I hung up with her all eager to write for the rest of the day, but somehow managed to squander it instead. First, I went to Cafe Borrone, where I was disappointed to find that they weren't serving black bean soup today; I made do with salmon carpaccio, but it was sadly lacking in what I wanted (namely, black beans). Then, I bought groceries, came home, procrastinated by reading "Top Chef: All Stars" blogs, decided to take a break and run some more errands, and then came home and procrastinated some more. I made the unusual decision to call my parents on a weeknight to tell them about my conversation with my agent (which makes me either a good daughter or a six-year-old), and am now trying to convince them to come out and visit me sometime.

My procrastination was all leading up to what I thought was going to be a seven p.m. dinner, and since I a) can't write when I'm hungry and b) was saving my calories (I sound like such a girl) for dinner out, I didn't snack and didn't write. But then, Adit postponed dinner until eight -- and then, he canceled, leaving me to grumble while heating up an Amy's enchilada. At that point, I decided to just throw in the towel, and started watching an episode of "Covert Affairs" (the season was this summer/early fall, but I had eight episodes sitting on my Tivo that I had been saving for a rainy day) while eating my microwaved delicacy.

But then, Adit said dinner was back on, and I immediately declined (as I was already in my pajamas), and so he immediately informed me that dinner was back on for him at my house. So, I cooked him an Amy's margherita pizza, he showed up and spent half an hour in my kitchen, and then he left for the airport, wearing one of my sweatshirts because he left his jacket at a friend's house and is about to fly into a blizzard in Boston. I don't quite understand that kid, but it was good to see him nonetheless, and I hope that he doesn't freeze to death before returning my sweatshirt.

After he left, I watched two more episodes of "Covert Affairs" and really, really wished that I could have been a spy. And now, with my headache still raging, I need to get some sleep -- goodnight!

No comments: