Monday, January 31, 2011

there is grass on this side too

I'm about as exhausted as I've felt in recent memory -- I slept v. poorly and not nearly long enough last night, and then dragged myself out of bed around nine a.m. even though I felt like death. The death feeling was not a hangover -- it was sleep deprivation, pure and simple. Adit slept even more poorly than I did, and was awake in my living room when I emerged from the cocoon of my bed to become a beautiful sleep-deprived butterfly. So, I made us some coffee (with the coffee grinder that my parents got me for Christmas, which worked wonderfully, and the french press that they gave me for my birthday a couple of years ago), and we enjoyed a cup of strong coffee at my kitchen table while discussing life and tings.

Eventually, after we both showered, we went to downtown Palo Alto in the rain and had lunch at Cafe Epi (the former Fratelli Deli, all grown up and chic-ified). He had some phone calls to make, which he did somewhere outside (which was a mystery to me, as it was raining), and I did some writing. I only netted a couple of pages today because Adit is the absolutely devil. While he may not have tempted me to drink to excess yet on this trip, he did finally force me to succumb to the evil lure of Angry Birds. The game has taken the smartphone nation by storm, and I had wisely avoided ever looking at it or downloading it because I knew that I would waste too much time on it. True to my worst prognostications, I alternated between writing and playing Angry Birds until Adit returned, with a minor moment of hubbub when the baby at the table next to me spilled a thai iced tea all over everything (luckily, I escaped almost entirely unscathed, although his mother wasn't so lucky).

So we came back to my place, Adit made some more calls, and I spent a lot of time talking to my parents. Then, I did some more work/procrastinating, watching some Jimmy Fallon sketches with Adit, and eventually drove up with him to the evil city to have dinner with the Chandlord and this kid that they call Yurkel (whose real name is Steve -- I know, the nicknames of my friends/acquaintances can be confusing, and I apologize). We picked up Chandlord at her apartment and then drove over to SoMa and proceeded to Basil Thai, where Yurkel met us. The food was quite tasty, even if it was vegetarian (sssssssss), and the company was entertaining (albeit double jhokers). When we left there sometime after 9:30, Adit tried to take us to a wine bar, which was closed, and then Yurkel suggested that we adjourn to his place and drink some nice bottle of wine that he had. So, we proceeded to drive over there, but on the way, Adit came to his senses and realized that he was too tired to do such a thing and still make it to work in the morning. As a result, we retrieved Chandlord from Yurkel's car, deposited her back at her apartment, drove to the San Francisco airport so that Adit could rent a car and no longer be dependent on my benevolence, and then came home.

And now, I really must sleep (or play Angry Birds). Tomorrow will require some massive progress (and some diligent gym-going), and as I have supper plans tomorrow night, I can't procrastinate all day. Goodnight!

No comments: