Wednesday, January 19, 2011

prison breaks are organized with more efficiency and teamwork

I had a lovely day, but I was too busy to write very much -- how did I ever get anything done when I had a job? I perhaps would have had time if I had managed to drag myself out of bed before 9:30, but it wasn't meant to be. When I finally did get out of bed, I had enough time to get dressed, make some tea, and eat a snacky snack before driving up to the evil city to have lunch with Tina, who writes vampire erotica (and some v. hot stories about Greek gods as well), is part of the San Francisco romance chapter, and is doing v. v. well with self-publishing on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. It was quite nice to get together and talk about writing and the industry over sushi (and then peppermint tea in her apartment), and so I ended up spending three hours with her before heading back to the glorious south bay.

When I got home, I could have theoretically written then, as it was only four p.m. But, I messed around with my email inbox, dropped the writing class that I was signed up for this quarter, and wrote the lecturer a farewell note (which I had been putting off, since she seemed like a nice lady and I felt bad dropping her class -- but it had to be done). Finally, I decided to go to Peet's Coffee in Mountain View, where I was supposed to meet the Chandlord at 5:55pm, so that I could write for twenty minutes before she arrived; but as it turns out, she was early as well, so we just sat there in an odd little corner of the store and discussed our so-called lives for an adequate amount of time.

Eventually, though, we vacated and met up with John and Jess at Vive Sol, which is about one hundred million times nicer than the places the four of us usually go for dinner. And by that, I mean that the lighting was not something akin to what one might find in a dorm room, there were no real or perceived cleanliness issues, and there was additional clientele besides ourselves and the 3-6 other patrons staring at us that we usually experience in other establishments. And, we had bona fide margaritas; the places we go usually don't serve alcohol (unless they are the Olive Garden, whose wine lists leaves something to be desired). As usual, I can't possibly recount all of the good times that we had, including the occasional outburst of "Wamperdoo," which is one of the more bizarre nicknames I've been graced with (I think Adit came up with it).

But, a good time was indeed had. When it came time to part ways, I stopped by Whole Foods to buy a glass bottle of overpriced unhomogenized milk (I am such a poser), then came home and watched tonight's episode of "Top Chef: All Stars". The competition is heating up too much for me to be satisfied leaving the episode on my tivo for a few days, so I had to watch it immediately -- and it was worth it. And now, even though it's not quite eleven, I'm going to go to bed; I have a date with destiny (aka Alyssa) at the gym tomorrow morning, a call with my agent after that, and a possible pizza excursion with Adit tomorrow night. Goodnight!

No comments: