Monday, January 10, 2011

not so fireproof

Don't worry, I'm not testing my immunity to flame; instead, I'm listening to the "How to Train Your Dragon" soundtrack while working on writing-related stuff. Someone I follow on twitter mentioned it as great music to write to, and I have to agree -- uplifting, pleasant, vaguely Celtic, without any distracting words. I suppose I could listen to the "Lord of the Rings" soundtrack instead, but that one has too much distracting high-heroism crescendos, while the kid-friendly "Dragon" soundtrack is a little easier on the ears.

Anyway, today was a reasonably productive day; I woke up around 7:30 and hung out with Terry until it was time to drive her up to the interview that she was in town for. I dropped her off and made it home by 10:15, then did a couple of loads of laundry, procrastinated for a bit, showered, defrosted and ate some chili from my freezer, and then did a couple of hours of writing (shocking, I know). I took a break, eventually made my way to the Stanford CoHo because I was craving their pasta (weird, I know, since it's a little gross), did some more writing there, and then came home and watched the BCS championship game while messing around on my laptop. I ended the night by spending the last half hour drafting an email to my agent about my ideas for the next couple of romances, my reaction to her feedback from last week, etc., and suggesting times for a call later this week/early next week. And now that I'm no longer putting off the email (only because it was long, not because it was difficult), I can focus on the writing again tomorrow.

Wordcount wise, today was shorter than I would have liked - 529, rather than 2000+. But, I reset Scrivener with all the new scenes that I'm planning and archived the old scenes that I'm scrapping in favor of the new ending that I have planned. This obviously set me back on my overall wordcount from where I'd ended up when "finishing" the manuscript for the contest that I ended in December, and it's going to take a couple of weeks to finish the full draft again, but I'm feeling good about where it's headed. Now, to focus - and if I can focus like I did this afternoon before getting distracted by football, I think I'll be in good shape.

But first, I must go to bed; I have to be at the gym at 8am to meet with Alyssa and atone for the numerous shrimp families I massacred yesterday. Goodnight!

No comments: