Wednesday, August 31, 2011

if you think you need to go

I probably should have gone to bed an hour ago, but since my sleep schedule has remained remarkably consistent since coming home, I don't know why I thought I would sleep early tonight. I was quite productive today even though I didn't write a single word of the gargoyle blog. Instead, I fulfilled my familial obligations (to be demonstrated shortly), watched some "NCIS" (which I consider work, since it's all about pacing and character arcs), and continued working on my consulting plans. Of course, there was also some game playing on Google+ and an inordinate amount of Twitter stalking, but that's to be expected.

My mother and I went out for lunch today (shocking, I know) at the cafe that we usually go to in the town north of us. I had an Alyssa-approved Cobb salad and mildly regretted it; it was tasty, but no Cobb salad can live up to the version I regularly eat at Joanie's. I followed it up with a non-Alyssa-approved creme brulee, which was delicious (although why they put whipped cream on top, I don't know). My mother had an apple dumpling that was even better, and I'm guessing her chicken salad was good too, so all in all we had a fine time. Then we drove through the town where my high school was so that my mom could stop at the bank before we returned home and tackled our afternoon activity.

Our fun time this afternoon was devoted to continuing the project I foolishly proposed -- photographing everything in the house and noting where it came from and whether it has any special significance. I took approximately 190 pictures today, which necessitated digging through the china cabinet, buffet, curio cabinet, closets, etc. and dragging out various dishes and mementoes. Then my mom and I went through the pictures and captioned them all. It was a pretty slick process using the ipad, but it still took several hours, and we haven't even touched anything downstairs. But at least we got all the main stuff upstairs, and hopefully we'll get to the rest of it either on this trip or the next time I come home.

The rest of the evening was fairly uneventful. We had steak and sweet corn for supper, which was totally delicious, followed by the "NCIS" episodes mentioned above. And now, I should really sleep; I intend to drive up to Des Moines tomorrow, so sleep is necessary. Goodnight!

No comments: