Tuesday, August 23, 2011

it's about to be a scary drop

I desperately wanted to stay in bed this morning, but I managed to drag myself out of the house at a time that should have made me early for the gym; thanks to fate and traffic conspiring against me, I was instead ten minutes late. But Alyssa was in good form and proceeded to make up for lost time with various implements of torture, including resistance bands, kettlebells, and else tings.

[side note: my mother observed yesterday that my friend group has stolen the 'h' from 'tings' and 'tanks' and put it into 'jhokes', which is quite insightful]

As I was saying, Alyssa tortured me, but she made up for it by giving me a card at the end of my workout, which was v. sweet. I then showered and left the gym to run some errands, filling prescriptions and going to the mall to return some stuff that I bought before I went to Germany. Of course, returning some stuff meant that I tried on other stuff, and so the trip cost me money rather than recouping it, but we'll see if I keep what I walked away with. Then I scurried back to the gym to get my eyebrows waxed by a woman who told me after she had put wax on my brows that she used to dress like a chola -- which, needless to say, concerned the crap out of me, since the images on a Google image search for 'chola eyebrows' should tell you all you need to know about this phenomenon. However, she did a good job and I didn't walk away looking like a chola, so there are small miracles. On the other hand, she also told me that my curly grandpa eyebrows are 'unique' and that I should feel special that I have them, since she's never seen someone with straight hair and curly eyebrows. Perhaps I would have believed her, but she told me later that her favorite job is doing makeup for burn victims and other people with facial disfigurements who have never ever felt beautiful because she can give them hope -- which made me wonder if her attempt to convince me that I was a special grandpa-brow princess was her way of making herself feel like a do-gooder. Sigh. At any rate, the curls have been trimmed down and I don't look like my granddad anymore, so I'll take it.

After that rather entertaining conversation, I went to Stanford library and wrote five pages of zee gargoyle book; I'm almost a fourth of the way through the first draft, which is crazy. Crazier is that I daydream about my characters constantly, so if you ever catch me sitting around with a dreamy expression on my face, I'm either thinking of the curly-brow kingdom I'm destined to inherit *or* I'm listening to my characters' dialogues in my head. Stanford library was good for my productivity, even if it was slightly too warm and forced me into taking a ten minute nap. I finally escaped, though, and drove to Mountain View for what turned into a Blood of Lincoln reunion at Vive Sol. Originally Jess and I were going to have dinner by ourselves, but I invited Chandlord, who overcame illness to join us, and John put in a surprise appearance despite the fact that he's been too slammed with work to do anything fun for weeks. It was lovely to see them all; I hadn't seen John since before I went to New York, and hadn't seen Jess much since then either, so it was all v. welcome. Then I drove home (with a stop at Lowes to get some light bulbs - I live a v. exciting life), watched an episode of "Bones" and an episode of "South Park" with Terry, and ignored the lesson of the "South Park" episode she showed me (all about the boys getting sucked into World of Warcraft) to tend to my online Google+ game.

And now, I shall go to bed; I have a ton of stuff to do before Iowa, including writing and many other activities, and so sleep is imperative. Goodnight!

No comments: