Friday, June 15, 2012

he's the one i'm leaving you for

Today was a v. meh day, even though on the surface of it things were great. Everything was slightly off, though, as though 5% of everything had to be bad in order for the rest of it to go forward as normal...which was v. odd, since I couldn't quite put my finger on my malaise.

Actually, I can put my finger on it...my neck is killing me, which made everything else worse. I woke up this morning, showered, and was out the door by 9:45 to grab breakfast, since I had nothing in the house to cook. However, I went to the cafe on Union Street that I'd vowed never to go to again, which was my first mistake; their huevos rancheros are really good, which is why I went back, but the service is generally terrible, and today was no exception. However, I wrote a couple of pages while I waited for stuff, so it wasn't all lost. Then I ran an errand where I was surrounded by screaming children, since that's what Union Street is at ten a.m. on weekdays (well, screaming children and their yoga moms have to compete with underemployed marina kids drinking mimosas - I love my neighborhood).

But, I escaped the Marina and drove to the other side of the city to visit the Legion of Honor. They were putting on an exhibit called "Cult of Beauty", all about the Aesthetic movement in Victorian Britain, and it ends on Sunday, so I wanted to go before I missed it. It was well worth seeing; the Victorian period is after the time in which I write, but I have a vague idea for a Victorian series, so this was good inspiration. I wandered around, listened to the audio guide, and took copious notes...which is approximately when my neck started hurting, since I was schlepping around my usual gigantic bag, carrying the audio guide around my neck, and trying to brace my notebook against my arm whilst writing in it. I've been having trouble with my neck off and on for months anyway, and this definitely aggravated it, which aggravated me to no end.

After the exhibit, all I really wanted was tea and scones, but I can't eat scones because of my fucking gluten intolerance. So I had the tea (which was excellent) with some thai coconut curry (which was tolerable), and wrote another page in the garden outside the museum. However, I exchanged some texts that put me in a lousy mood, made more lousy because service all the way out at Legion of Honor (which is on a bluff overlooking the Pacific) was pretty sketchy and so my battery was rapidly dying in its vain attempts to find signal. So I came home, took a nap in hopes of making my neck feel better (verdict: failure), and relocated to the roof, where I wrote another couple of pages.

However, trying to write a sex scene when the idea of sex makes your neck hurt more really isn't all that appealing, so I gave up and started to read a book. But I should have chosen a different book; this one is about the Fae (aka fairies, but evil fairies, not cute little winged things), and I've never read a book about the Fae that I've liked. Terry came home and rescued me, so we talked and ordered takeout and watched tv, and she let me bitch about the Fae and my neck and the cafe and children, and everything else, and we watched the finale of "Mad Men" (and John Slattery aka Roger Sterling may have fixed what's wrong with my sex scene). And now that I've both overshared and overcomplained, and made my neck worse by typing, I'm going to bed -- goodnight!

No comments: