Saturday, June 02, 2012

when i am with you, i feel a little brave

The first day of the Nick and Ellie Death March went according to plan; I plan to finish a rough draft of their book by the end of June, which means 2000 words per day, every day. I got 2011 words today, which I will totally take. To make it official, I contacted the freelance editor I hired for SCOTSMEN (actually, she emailed me today, which was perfect timing) and told her I'd get her a draft by July 15 -- it will be rougher than the almost-finished draft I sent her of the previous book, but I think she could provide a lot of insight that would help me during the revision process. And I'll need all the insight I can get, particularly since this book makes more extensive use of flashbacks (Nick and Ellie were lovers a decade before the book starts) and also has a suspense/murder subplot, which I've never written. Ugh. Next time I won't try two completely new techniques at once (ha -- you know that's not a promise I'll keep).

So anyway, May turned into a total vacation (if vacation is the right word; not sure my dad feels like it's a vacation), and June must be a death march to compensate. So I got up this morning (at 9:30; I'm not turning over every new leaf), unpacked and did some laundry, showered, etc., before going to Morning Due to work/eat/work. I wrote longhand since that seems to work for me, but I had to take a longer break than I expected to talk to a potential speaker for the SF romance chapter; I thought it would take a few minutes, but it ended up taking half an hour, which made me surly even though he was a nice guy who will put on a good program. When my second two-hour parking spot was done, I came home and worked some more. Terry got home at some point, and we reunited and caught up over dinner at Tortilla Heights, where we got the pitcher of margaritas in honor of happy hour, but I sipped mine and conned her into drinking almost all of it. Ha. Then we came home, watched two episodes of Craig from the week he was in Scotland (awesome), and then some So You Think You Can Dance while I worked on my laptop. I should have gone out, but I'm tired and feeling hermity, so no parties for me!

And now I should go to bed; I'm going to a sleepover tomorrow night, so I need to get my 2000 words in early. Goodnight!

No comments: