Monday, June 18, 2012

calling, calling, calling me home

I'm super sleepy, so I need to go to bed immediately - today was a long but v. productive day, unless you think that my productivity needs to involve putting words on the page (which, actually, is a good guess on your part...I should be writing with every waking moment I have). But I got up absurdly early since my fucking neighbor decided to use what sounded like a shop vac on something in the carport behind my bedroom window at 7:15am - who does that?! So, when I accepted that my sleep was stymied, I got up, showered, made some coffee, and worked until it was time to meet up with someone for brunch.

I don't think I mentioned, but my other piece of good news recently was that I was asked to co-teach a class to high schoolers on writing for publication; the class is at Berkeley (sssssssss), and the irony of going to work for the enemy is certainly not lost on me. But the other teacher and I needed to sort out the syllabus and discuss our plan of attack, since the first class is on Wednesday, and so we met up for a v. long working brunch at Chow to plow through some stuff. I'm really excited to do some teaching, so even though I really don't have time for it given my other deadlines, it was too good of an opportunity (and highlight for my resume, if I want to do more teaching) to pass up.

Post meeting, I got home around 3:30, and then Terry and I filmed the last little bit of stuff for my next romance writer video. Then I talked to my parents (Happy Father's Day, Daddy!), and then I started editing the video so that I could get it up as soon as possible. I took a break, though, to have dinner with Terry and Lauren (aka Subz, aka Zubisubz) at Nettie's Crab Shack, which is down the street from my apartment. I'd never been there, but the food was awesome; I had their salmon special (perhaps an unwitting homage to my parents, who were having salmon tonight), which would have been really healthy if I hadn't had a piece of pizza before, or a glass of wine at dinner, or a serving of soft-serve swirl ice cream after. Oops. But it was great to see Lauren and catch up on all the stuff in her life, and I'm really glad that I had a bit of socializing after a week of mostly hermity activities.

After dinner, I came home and came straight upstairs to finish editing the video. I was successful, so I plan to share it broadly tomorrow - but you can get a sneak peek now here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFo0-9pyAps. And now that I've burned out my eyes with iMovie, I must sleep at once - goodnight!

No comments: