Saturday, October 08, 2016

i tell my love to wreck it all

I'm still not feeling well, which is getting to be a real drag. So, today was kind of a wash - I slept better last night, thanks to my octogenarian-style bed that enabled me to sleep at an incline, but I was not feeling in it to win it this morning. So I sat around and did some mindless research, and then showered and went to Lers Ros to grab lunch.

The walk there and back reminded me that I live in an apocalyptic wasteland - it's getting a little too depressing to see the same extreme scenes of poverty and prostitution and drug use in the middle of the day in the middle of one of the richest cities in the world. And I don't know what the solution is...but I'm finding nothing charming about any of it at the moment.

Or maybe that's my illness talking - the walk to Lers Ros took a lot out of me, which was compounded by the fact that I hadn't had any caffeine all day because I didn't have any milk/cream. So I grabbed an iced coffee at Peets, came home, grabbed my car, and drove to the Mission, where I got my bangs trimmed. Then I came home and napped for an hour as the Blue Angels roared through the skies overhead, because I couldn't bear to do anything else.

By that point the day had mostly slipped away from me. However, I forced myself to write for twenty minutes, and I got a page and a half - I'm testing out a new method of writing in twenty-minute increments, and the rule is that I have to write at least one twenty-minute increment every day. If there's a day when I'm not feeling it beyond that, fine - but I have to at least do one. I think this will be good in the long run; tonight, I probably would have kept going if I'd had time, after I finally forced myself to do it.

But I didn't have time - I had to meet Julie for a drink at Home Rules. I hadn't seen her in awhile, and so I didn't want to cancel despite not feeling all that great. And it was worth it, since it was good to see her - we sat outside (the weather, at least, was gorgeous today, even if the city isn't) and had a cocktail and split some nachos. Then, we went to her place briefly, where I said hi to Deano (her husband) and Tom and their friend Aron, whom I hadn't seen in forever.

But I was feeling tapped out, so I came home. I then read a book - Tessa Dare's latest, which is "Do You Want to Start a Scandal". I haven't read a historical romance other than my own in at least a year, and I'm thinking I need to see if there are trends in the market that I'm missing. And, I really needed something light and fluffy given my physical state. This fit the bill - I must have skimmed quite a bit, because I finished it in two hours, and I don't think it was that short. But the dialogue was charming and the story was fun, so at least I enjoyed that, even if I didn't end up feeling super connected to the characters.

And now I need to sleep and hope that I'll keep getting better - goodnight!

No comments: