Wednesday, October 05, 2016

i'm your little butterfly

Today was my last full day in Iowa, and I spent it doing very Iowish things. First, though, I got up in time to shower and take a business-y call, and then my parents and I went to Seymour, where we had lunch with my Aunt Judy. She's actually my dad's aunt, and she lives in Missouri, but she drove up to have lunch with us. It was all quite entertaining, and the deer heads on the wall were silent witnesses to our conversation.

Then we came home (with a brief stop at a cemetery), and I spent the afternoon hanging out on the back porch with my parents. It was a gorgeous day, and I probably should have been writing, but parent time was a v. worthy endeavor. Eventually, we had supper (steak, hot dogs, potatoes, veggies) while watching 'Survivor' - and then, because 'Criminal Minds' was coming on and we all hate it, we switched over to PBS and watched a two-hour documentary which appears to be part of a mini-series called 'The Great Human Odyssey'. It was really interesting, and made me wish that I had been an archaeologist (but not really, because I think they spend 99.9% of their time brushing sand off stuff and being bored). But let me tell you, after watching how our ancestors survived and spread out over the whole world, 'Survivor: Gen-X vs Millennials' seems a whole hell of a lot less dramatic.

And then I did a bit of work, and now I need to sleep - I have to get up in ~7 hours, and since each of the last few nights have involved waking up in the middle of the night and coughing for an hour, it's probably in my best interests to sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: