Thursday, October 06, 2016

but i swear in the days still left we'll walk in fields of gold

I'm back in San Francisco, at least for the moment. Today started off with some mild exhaustion - I coughed for an hour at some point last night, and then I woke up at 6:45 so that I could say goodbye to my dad. He couldn't go to the airport today because he had another commitment, so we said goodbye in the kitchen, which was super weird - I think this is the first time in the 15+ years that I've been going places that my mom and I went to the airport by ourselves.

After my dad left, I went back to bed for 45mins, and then I got up, ate some breakfast with my mom, packed, showered, and loaded my stuff up in the car. Then my mom and I drove to Des Moines - it was an entirely uneventful drive through mist and clouds, and I am reminded how nice it is that the timings there are always guessable (the 75mi to the airport are consistently an hour and a half no matter what, unlike the hellhole that is SF...but more on that in a moment). Then we said our goodbyes outside the airport, and I went through security and got a snack and boarded my flight.

Des Moines to Denver was uneventful, and I napped most of the way. In Denver, I grabbed a late lunch at Cantina Grill. The Denver to SFO flight was packed, and the guy next to me was a little too into manspreading, but I managed another nap and some writing, so I guess that's good.

But when I landed in SF, traffic looked atrocious - it was going to take over an hour to get home, and I was feeling too ill and too cranky to deal with sitting in some lyft for that long. So I went to a wine bar and sat there and nursed a pinot noir and wrote and ate charcuterie for three hours. That resulted in me writing ten pages, which was v. much needed to jumpstart my productivity again. And when I finally left the airport, it only took thirty minutes to get home, so that was a plus.

And now I'm going to watch some 'Project Runway' to decompress, and then I'm going to bed. Goodnight!

No comments: