Saturday, February 24, 2018

my perfect rock bottom

I should go to bed, but since I took a nap from 8:30-9:15pm, I'm not exactly feeling like I must sleep immediately. I'm in Beaver Creek, which is one of the mountain resorts - Terry's aunt has a house up here, and she was nice enough to let us use it.

We got off to a leisurely start this morning (which was great since I was desperate for sleep), and we enjoyed some coffee and talking and showers before having brunch at a place called River and Woods. It's a block from my house and I'd never managed to make it there before (mostly because I didn't know they serve brunch) - but now that I know about it, I'll probably go there all the time. It's a cute restaurant in a converted house, and while my scrambled eggs were a little too oily for my tastes, the potatoes and bacon and gluten free toast (and mimosa) were perfect.

Then we stopped at Boxcar for coffee before driving up to Beaver Creek. It was slightly treacherous because of high winds, but it was mostly smooth sailing - and the drive was gorgeous, which made me happy. When we got here, Terry's aunt was here, so we talked to her for a bit and got a tour of the house before she left to go back to Denver. Then Terry and I walked into the village, which reminded me of Squaw Valley - there's something inherently fascinating and strange to me about skiing culture, which is mostly white and wealthy. So we grabbed a drink and a snack, then walked around some art galleries, then had dinner at Beaver Creek Chophouse. The food was excellent - I had a great steak and some truly cracktastic risotto - but the service left something to be desired.

We were done by eight, but Terry and I were both tired, so we ended up coming back to the house, where I took my aforementioned nap and have messed around online until now. And now I'm going to bed for reals - goodnight!

No comments: