Wednesday, April 27, 2011

say goodbye to hollywood

Really, anyone who has any job other than professional trucking should not be so familiar with the 1800 miles of I-80 between Palo Alto and Iowa as I am. I didn't even need directions today - I just got in the car and started heading west. Unfortunately, I didn't get out of my house until around 10:15, and so I stopped earlier than I intended to - I'm in Elko, Nevada, which ranks right up there as one of my less-favorite places. I'm glad I stopped, though; I got the last room in the Elko Best Western, several of the other motels were sold out, and I didn't want to risk driving another hour and a half to the smaller town of Wendover (where I originally intended to stop) and discovering that there were no rooms. And, since my phone has for some reason rebelled and decided to stop providing me with data even though AT&T's coverage map claims perfect data coverage alone the I-80 corridor, looking up hotels in advance would have proved tricky.

Anyway, the drive today was actually pretty nice, even if I hate Elko. I mean, this is the sixth time I've seen this stretch of Nevada, and I don't know how many times I've seen the part from the bay area to Tahoe, but it's still rather scenic. And once I was past Reno, I set the cruise to 80 and just drove for hours. Yay.

And that's all I have to report, sadly - there isn't much to say when everything I did involved sitting in a car or stopping at gas stations. I did have Pizza Hut for supper, though - the fact that I had Pizza Hut and called it 'supper' shows that I'm quickly reverting to my midwest roots. But now, I should really sleep; I need to get out here earlier than 10am if I'm going to make it to Denver at a reasonable hour. Goodnight!

No comments: