Wednesday, April 20, 2011

they justify my claim

Today wasn't quite so bleak, at least when it comes to my writing, even though I did less of it. I never thought that I would ever, in a million years, be the person who said that going to the gym helped them to destress, but it apparently worked. I rendezvoused with Alyssa today for our usual Tuesday torture session, and between a workout with her and some stairmaster afterward, I left around noon feeling somewhat less agonized about my book than I had before I went in.

However, I wasn't tremendously productive this afternoon; I came home from the gym, inadvertently took a nap, woke up starving, and went out to grab lunch. While eating, I tried to write, and came up with about a page -- no proud feat, but better than nothing. Then, I picked up a couple of prescriptions (and mourned the loss of my 'cadillac' insurance plan from my former employer), bought groceries (finally), came home, and stared at the manuscript for awhile. I don't particularly remember how long that lasted; the afternoon is a haze of procrastination that I would prefer not to revisit.

But I eventually pulled myself out of it, made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (so glamorous), and crossed some stuff off my to-do list. I made a reservation for me and my brother at the Grand Canyon in a few weeks, since that's the only night of our journey that is likely to sell out, and exchanged emails with him about our itinerary. I read the stories that my writing group is discussing tomorrow night (and should have cleaned, since I'm hosting them, but I put it off until tomorrow). I wrote a couple of blog posts for zee romance blog, including one on that movie "Limitless" and a Salon review for a book about the psychology of writer's block. I caught up on romance email. In other words, I did a bunch of stuff that needed done, but none of it was writing, and none of it was the more distasteful/time consuming stuff on my list. That, I'm afraid, will consume the rest of my week.

So, I think I'll take my massive headache and go to bed. The rest of the week is looking up -- lunch plans tomorrow, writing group tomorrow night, coffee with the big boss on Thursday, lunch plans on Friday, and Blood of Lincoln Friday night. If nothing else, constant socializing will hopefully take my mind off the silent mockery of my phone. Goodnight!

No comments: