Thursday, April 21, 2011

waiting for a train

Today, productivity came late (say, after eleven p.m.), which is rather unfortunate for what I need to get done tomorrow. I intended to get up early and go to the gym before lunch, but I actually slept well last night, and so when the alarm went off I made the executive decision (although I doubt it was an executive decision -- it was something less conscious than that) to let myself keep sleeping. But, I got up and got ready with plenty of time, and left my house early to avoid the Obama circus -- he was speaking at Facebook this afternoon, which is two blocks from my house, and I figured I should get out of the neighborhood before he arrived and stay gone until after he left to avoid any negative traffic repercussions.

My first destination was my old place of work to have lunch with Dontae. Not only did I go to my old place of work, but I actually went back to the building where I worked when I first got hired full-time oh-so-many years ago; Dontae works in that building now, which has been remodeled several times and is no longer recognizable. We were going to go to the cafe in that building (Crave), but just like the time I tried to go their with John, we took one look at the food and walked across the street to get food at a different cafe. I don't know which one we ended up at, but the food was good and the company was better. After parting ways with Dontae, I did succeed in going to the gym, although I cut my workout short because I was running low on time. Then, I dropped off my dry cleaning, came home, and did some furious cleaning to get my place up to snuff.

The reason for the cleaning was because I hosted my historical fiction writing group tonight. Denise, Jack, Nancy and Chris came -- Chris is a girl, fyi, which explains why Jack rather plaintively asked if we could try to find another guy to join us, since he claimed his book is turning into women's fiction, which couldn't be farther from the truth. The group was good; we spent a couple of hours discussing writing in general and Jack and Nancy's stories in particular. Nancy's story was quite lovely; she's a new addition to the group, but I'm glad to have her, since I really enjoy her writing. Jack isn't really going down the women's fiction road; he's telling the story of his ancestors in South Carolina in the 1700s, and he has a lot of fascinating stuff to work with, but he needs to decide whether he's writing history or fiction (not an easy decision). Anyway, the group left and I was feeling energized to write...

...but I had to draft a blog post for my fellow 2009 Golden Heart finalist blog, which is going live on Friday. So, I did that, with some procrastinating sprinkled in, and just now finished. And now, I really must go to bed; I have to be at the gym at 10am for Alyssa, followed by a stretching session with Art, followed by time to get myself all prettied up to have coffee with the big boss (not that she cares whether I'm pretty, but I feel better in a dress, and I hardly wear them anymore anyway). Goodnight!

No comments: