Tuesday, April 12, 2011

swallowed, hollowed, sharp about everyone but yourself

I'm strangely loath to blog tonight -- not because nothing happened (things did happen, for once), but because I occasionally recognize the weirdly narcissistic action that I take by writing about my mundane daily events and eating habits every night. Then I decide to screw the introspection and just write my usual drivel, but it takes a moment to get over that thought process and start typing.

But now that I have started typing, I might as well finish the post. I will start by wishing Aunt Becky a happy birthday -- I called her this evening, thus fulfilling my niecely duty. But back to the beginning of the day -- I intended to get up in time to go to the gym, but I overslept by an hour, so I took a shower, ate some cereal, got ready, and then went back to my old place of work to have lunch with John, Jess and Katrina. John and Katrina both work there, and they suggested having lunch at the new cafe in the complex where I used to work; I usually avoid that area of campus when I go back for lunch so that I don't awkwardly run into a ton of people, but a) the food was worth it and b) I didn't run into anyone anyway (although I only succeeded by showing up early and doing some strategic turning at the right times to avoid being seen by people). The new cafe is perhaps the nicest of all the cafes there, which is saying something since there are like twenty. And the food was superb (although the fish in the ceviche, while delicious, turns out to be an occasional carrier of some weird tropical-water poison which is often misdiagnosed as multiple sclerosis -- so despite my family history of MS, if I come down with acute symptoms of MS and end up in the hospital, ask them to run tests for ciguatera poisoning from eating yellow jack!).

So it was lovely to see 2/3s of the Blood of Lincoln group + Katrina, although I had to dash off earlier than I would have liked. Then, I went to the gym, where I did my prescribed workout + a ton of foam rolling, then took a long shower to try to revive myself. After the gym, I went to Starbucks and worked for a couple of hours. I didn't write-write, but I did figure out some of the intro and decided to move the opening sequences from London to a grand country estate party, which I think will be fun. After Starbucks, I came home, freshened up, then drove up to Belmont to have dinner with Shedletsky and his girlfriend. I hadn't seen their new place, but it's v. lovely, and Shedletsky made minestrone, as well as some delicious ravioli with and even more delicious sauce. I stayed there for almost four hours catching up, since I hadn't seen him since my freedom party six months ago, and it was great to see them.

But now, I should go to bed and dream of ciguatera poisoning; I have to be at the gym tomorrow at ten a.m., and then I have grand writing plans that I will attempt to turn into reality. Goodnight!

No comments: