Tuesday, April 05, 2011

you were standing on another track like a real aristocrat

I really should go to bed, since I have to meet up with Alyssa in eight and a half hours. But, it's probably unsurprising that I'm not particularly tired yet; I lolled about in bed until eleven this morning, and also took an unexpected nap around five p.m., so I'm not exactly sleep deprived.

I tried to get my work done during the day like a normal person, but I failed. I procrastinated for awhile, and eventually dragged myself to the gym, where I did my Alyssa-prescribed workout even though I wanted to die. After I showered, I went to the grocery store and got food to carry me through the week, and I was quite good this evening until I cut into the chocolate chip chewies -- and then couldn't quit, continuing to hit them like a junkie in search of an increasingly-unattainable high. Luckily I invited Chandlord to come over and take them off my hands tomorrow, so I can return to salad dinners instead of chewie dinners.

After a nap, a salad and more chewies than I care to admit, I watched the basketball final and was generally depressed that Butler didn't win. During the second half, since there wasn't much scoring going on, I started transcribing notes from a book on Regency England that I need to return to the library tomorrow. And after the game, I continued to procrastinate on the stuff I really needed to do (for my agent) by crossing off a whole bunch of other stuff on my to-do list. It was all good stuff to get done, including taking care of some financial stuff, sorting my mail, buying tickets to NYC for the romance conference in June, etc., etc.

Finally, around 11:30, I started working on what I was really supposed to be working on -- and it went faster than I expected, so I got it all sent off to my agent tonight. I had to write a synopsis of my current book (which I was able to rework quickly from an earlier version, although I had to change the ending) and a blurb for book #3, which is actually going to be the first book that I wrote (is that confusing?). Basically, we're pitching the original book as book #3, but I'm going to rewrite it completely. The same characters will be in it, and they'll fall in love, but they'll fall in love about 150 pages earlier than they originally did, and the plot will be more interesting. Luckily, I was able to take my old query letter for that book and tweak it to make it an effective blurb. So, it's all in the hands of my agent now, and I'm talking to her on Wednesday; if she thinks we're in good shape, it will all go out and I can start having a quiet nervous breakdown while waiting to hear back.

And now, I really should go to bed; morning is going to come all too soon. Goodnight!

No comments: