Tuesday, March 29, 2016

i've been downhearted baby ever since the day we met

I'm dreaming again of far-flung lands and parts unknown...and that could probably be the beginning and the end of this blog post, since there's no reason to say anything else because I've made no decisions (and also because I had told myself I wasn't allowed to make any decisions until I finish this fucking book, which is not tonight). But there are a lot of things I want to do this year (mostly telling stories, but also finding places that are conducive to the telling of those stories). So, I'll try to stop teasing you and save further posts until I've made some decisions (which shouldn't be until May - so if I make a decision before then, tell me to stop procrastinating on the writing and get some actual work done).

sssanyway. I didn't get any writing done today, but I took care of a variety of other things. I also made myself a gigantic cobb salad for lunch, which required cooking chicken and boiling eggs, but now I have stuff for lunch for the next few days, so that's pretty winning. I also introduced my parents to the joys of cobb salad, which went over much better than my attempt to convert them to risotto several years ago, so perhaps someday I'll convince them that I'm a decent cook.

Eventually, I absconded with my mom's car and went into town to see Lorena, who is technically our neighbor (she and Ross own the land across from us, although they live in town). Her grandson Duncan was visiting, and the three of us spent three hours talking about a variety of writing-related topics over tea and chocolate - he's starting a business to record peoples' histories and turn them into memoirs, which I found pretty interesting, and he wanted to talk about my publishing experience, etc. So it was all quite delightful, although I am beginning to wonder if thirty-four is officially the age at which newish college grads begin to sound like young whippersnappers - he's so full of excitement and passion for his venture, while I am a withered old hag.

Okay, so that's an extreme overstatement - I am not withered, thanks mostly to moisturizers, nor am I that old (although I am perhaps a hag, but only on my sarcastic surface - I think I still maintain a bit of a heart of gold? maybe?).

sssanyway again. I enjoyed the conversation a lot, and it's always good to see Lorena - and to be reminded that I need to do my own project here, sooner rather than later, which would potentially be a good thing to do this summer. I left there around 6:15 and came home to find supper almost ready - my mom made ham and beans (Katie's favorite!) and gluten free cornbread that was super tasty, and I ate it all with gusto. Then I watched some fine CBS programming (NCIS, NCIS New Orleans, and a James Corden special), but I mostly ignored the tv and played around with marketing stuff.

And now, after having written in my journal (some ideas for my spinster book + some travel plans, because I suck at reminding myself that I'm supposed to stay put and finish this book), I should sleep and plan to write tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: